I'm an idiot

annetted

Diagnosed as prediabetic, went into tailspin of eating sensibly on a smaller plate between cakes. I've either got a deathwish or am childishly defiant...probably both.
I wondered if a glucose monitor on my arm might shock some sense into me. What do monitor users think? (I don't need judgemental comments just useful ones please. I already know I am an idiot).

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed as prediabetic, went into tailspin of eating sensibly on a smaller plate between cakes. I've either got a deathwish or am childishly defiant...probably both.
I wondered if a glucose monitor on my arm might shock some sense into me. What do monitor users think? (I don't need judgemental comments just useful ones please. I already know I am an idiot).
You're not an idiot at all. If you're pre diabetic you've got a chance to turn things around but first you need to see exactly what those cakes are doing to your blood sugar before you can begin to understand what you need to do. I believe you can get a free trial libre 2 so this would be good, you will get a real time picture of how your body reacts to different foods.

annetted

You're not an idiot at all. If you're pre diabetic you've got a chance to turn things around but first you need to see exactly what those cakes are doing to your blood sugar before you can begin to understand what you need to do. I believe you can get a free trial libre 2 so this would be good, you will get a real time picture of how your body reacts to different foods.
Thank you so much. I'll give it a go.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love "Between cakes" :hilarious: That was me in my pre and early diabetic days, and when I fall off the wagon occasionally even now. I agree that seeing what certain foods do to your blood sugar levels is a great idea, I use fingerprick tests but a libre is a great idea if you can afford it.

Actually in my early pre diabetic days I was completely in denial, and couldn't stop eating long enough to test what foods did what to me. It's only really as I've got older and the real prospect of diabetic complications sets in that I am working harder on health.

No idiot stares pre-diabetes in the face and wonders what they can do about it, so well done you. If you want some good reading/viewing on diabetes I suggest Jason Fung's book The Diabetes Code and his you tube videos - there's also some great you tube videos by Eric Westman on diabetes. Both are clinicians who have helped people with very serious diabetic complications to get healthy and off medication.

Good luck!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went for a hug emoji, but you made me laugh, too. Between cakes, really...! Hilarious. But yeah.... The moment you're told you can't or shouldn't this-or-that-or-the-other, a lot of us respond with "We'll see about that!", or worse, "HOLD MY BEER!" Call it denial, call it stupid... I just call it being human and responding from a place of trauma and grief, really.

Yeah, I do think a monitor would help you. Seeing the actual numbers and the immediate effect might be the reality-check you need to get on the wagon, and stay there for the bulk of the time. (We all step or topple off at some point or another, the trick is getting back on!). But really... You're already making better choices, as you're seeing what the problem is and asking others for help finding a solution.

You'll be okay.
Jo

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as monitoring (cgm or finger prick) you might want to start reading up on carb addiction and/or why we eat rather than what we eat.
Podcasts from Real health and medicine are good, as is Jen Unwins book Fork in the Road.
Neither are too much science, just simple real life support.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
(I don't need judgemental comments just useful ones please. I already know I am an idiot).
In addition to the other comments, we don't really do judgemental around here, and if anyone does, just hit the report button to have our moderators look into it.

This is a very safe place on the internet, and it's no coincidence that our very first forum rule is this one:
'A1. The Diabetes Forum is our Member interaction area, where questions are asked and exchanges of views take place. Please ask questions, provide answers, start debates and challenge where appropriate - but please be compassionate, considerate and kind towards others. Civil debate is healthy, but rudeness, bullying and/or Member belittling is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.'