I'm confused - can anyone help?

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, to anyone who hasn't seen my recent posts in other forums/threads here's a little background . . .

I had a fasting blood test at the beginning of Oct which came back at 7.7. I made some drastic changes to my diet and eating habits after the 1st blood test - reduced fat, sugar, salt, and introduced a lot more fresh fruit and veg, wholemeal products inc bread and rice. I cut out refined foods and white rice/bread and also fried foods, crisps, chocolate and cakes etc.

My 2nd fasting blood test result which I had last week came back at 6.3.

I was told I still needed to speak/see the diabetic nurse. She's phoned me today and said that because I am NOT diabetic she doesn't need to see me at all. BUT, she said I am glucose intolerant and said I would need an annual blood test. I was not offered any other support :( although she said she'd leave some info for me to collect from reception. I have collected this and it was just a printout from the internet telling me about healthy eating and foods to eat and avoid.

I am very overweight and also have high blood pressure and went to my Dr at the end of Sept as I was feeling pretty lousy.

Sorry to ramble on a bit but I'm just wondering what I should do next. Don't get me wrong, I'm very relieved that I'm not diabetic but worried about this glucose intolerance she mentioned. She did say to make another appt with my Dr if needed and then I could possibly be referred to a dietician.

Your thoughts and advice as always would be greatly appreciated :)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
My first reactions were, get excess weight off (easier said than done) and you would benefit on both counts. Losing weight saw my BP meds cut in half :D

It is not easy but if you can manage 1lb lost each week, it adds up to over 50lbs in a year. Carefully watch those carbs and you'll be surprised how weight slowly comes off without feeling hungry. :thumbup:

Fallenstar

Agree with Hobs, get as much weight off as you can manage, obviously aim for a healthy BMI for your height. If you have lowered your fasting glucose test that much with the diet modifications you have made and you say you are very overweight...lose it and not only will you feel better health wise overall if done sensibly..but your fasting will be fantastic and stay that way hopefully..what better motivation.
Well done for starting down the right path and making the effort to get your BG down, if you carry on with these changes and cut right down on the carbs the weight will fly off. I lost 6 stone on the Atkins diet, take a look at it ,or any other low carb diet. I have found the low carb approach the easiest way to lose weight..FAST!
But a healthy low GI with loads of salad ,veg and some fruit may be more your thing for the long haul.I'm sure this will also work.

well done and good luck, keep as far away as you can from this Diabetes, it really is a pain in the butt, if you can help you pancreas now, do it :D

Grazer

HMM. Don't disagree with the posts, but how did they decide you're "glucose intolerant" just from 2 fasting blood tests? If they were normal fasting tests, I'd say you were pre-diabetic or diabetic with the levels you told us. More than 7 is considered diabetic, and although the second one was lower, you can't ignore the first one. You've done well to get it down, but lots of us on diet only get fasting tests down to your levels, and we're still diabetic. The second test by the way is indicative I believe of pre-diabetes. Did you do other tests as well? I think I'd want a bit of further clarification from the doc myself. Not trying to spook you, but you need to know theses things for sure. That doesn't change the advice you've been given by people on this forum about diet by the way, but ..

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys for the advice and comments so far.

And Grazer I agree with what you've said. I didn't have to do the oral glucose test as I find injections/needles very traumatic so they said they wouldn't do 2 blood tests on the 2nd test I had.

So I just had a fasting blood test each time and had to fast for 12hrs which I did.

My Dr said that if both came back over 7 then I would be classed as diabetic but I am wondering if I have pre diabetes - so confused!

I think I will make another appt with the Dr in a week or so.

As regards to the diet I've lost 11lbs over a 4wk period and trying to mainly adopt the GI diet. It seems to be working and more importantly I'm managing to actually stick to it! :)

Grazer

That's good, but if you just have another fasting test it may not tell you much. You'll have been on your diet so, like many of us, you could have a low fasting blood sugar reading. Youreally need other tests, like oral glucose tests, ( no needles) to see what your diagnosis is

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The best advice I had was from my original doctor during the diagnosis period (which was a bit confusing at the time).

He basically told me that if I was diabetic (T2), I needed to lose weight and take some exercise. If I wasn't diabetic, I needed to lose weight and take more exercise!

I know how difficult this is. I've really only made a start on it and have been drifting recently, but being diagnosed and finding out about the implications gave me a wake up call.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dougie22 said:
The best advice I had was from my original doctor during the diagnosis period (which was a bit confusing at the time).

He basically told me that if I was diabetic (T2), I needed to lose weight and take some exercise. If I wasn't diabetic, I needed to lose weight and take more exercise!

I know how difficult this is. I've really only made a start on it and have been drifting recently, but being diagnosed and finding out about the implications gave me a wake up call.

Now, that does seem to be good common sense advice Dougie :)

And it is hard. I've just come back from a weekend away and had a little bit of waver (diet wise). I've also come back with a sore throat and what is probably the start of a cold and I crave comfort food.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I've made another appointment with my Dr. In the meantime I've borrowed a meter from my Mother in Law which she doesn't use.

I've tested this evening which would have been approx 3hrs after eating and I was 8.6 :(

So now I really don't know what to think. I'm going to do a few tests over the next few days prior to my Drs appt which is the end of next week. I intend to do a couple of fasting tests over the weekend and some a few hours after eating to see what ranges I get.

I'm really not happy with the 8.6 as this is too high in someone who has been classed as "non diabetic".

sue32

Dislikes
false people
It sounds as though you may be pre-diabetic, but you seem to be doing all the right things. I'm very overweight like you and it is so **** difficult to lose weight. In my case I have trouble exercising as I have extremely poor mobility. I cut out all starchy carbs - bread, pasta, rice, potatoes - 18 months ago and I have lost over 6 stones. However, I seem to be stuck now and not losing any more weight. But I do find that if I test my blood 2 hours after food it can be OK. Testing 4 hours after gives a totally different reading...a lot higher than is acceptable. Do I have a slow metabolism? Who knows? I do know I feel a lot better in myself than I used to and I have a little more confidence than I used to. Good luck...don't let diabetes rule you...it has to live with you not vice versa.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sue32

Thanks for replying to my post. I think you've done really well to lose 6 stone in a year and a half :clap:

It's strange though that your readings are higher after 4hrs as opposed to 2hrs :roll:

I was sick and vomiting this morning approx 1hr 30 mins after having breakfast of 2 slices of wholemeal bread with flora light and a mug of tea with milk (no sugar as haven't taken sugar in tea since my early 20's).

I got hubby to test my BG levels (I'm needle phobic and can't even look :sick: )!

It was 7.7 so clearly things aren't right so I'm noting all of this to take into my Drs appt next week.

Grazer

tigerlily72 said:
was sick and vomiting this morning approx 1hr 30 mins after having breakfast of 2 slices of wholemeal bread with flora light and a mug of tea with milk (no sugar as haven't taken sugar in tea since my early 20's).

I got hubby to test my BG levels (I'm needle phobic and can't even look )!

It was 7.7 so clearly things aren't right so I'm noting all of this to take into my Drs appt next week.

I understand you're concerned tigerlily, but 7.7 isn't that high, and certainly not high enough to make you feel ill or vomit. Might need to look for other causes. Hope it works out ok.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grazer said:
tigerlily72 said:
was sick and vomiting this morning approx 1hr 30 mins after having breakfast of 2 slices of wholemeal bread with flora light and a mug of tea with milk (no sugar as haven't taken sugar in tea since my early 20's).

I got hubby to test my BG levels (I'm needle phobic and can't even look )!

I understand you're concerned tigerlily, but 7.7 isn't that high, and certainly not high enough to make you feel ill or vomit. Might need to look for other causes. Hope it works out ok.

I suppose 7.7 isn't that high although I'm not happy with the readings so far as I'm classed as "non diabetic".

And yes, maybe there are other underlying causes. I had a cough and sore throat type infection about 4-5wks ago that lasted about 2wks. I thought I'd got rid of it but it's come back in the last few days so I'm feeling run down. My immune system is clearly malfunctioning!!!! :(

I also had high blood pressure on my 1st visit to the Dr at the end of September so I don't know whether this would cause some of the symptoms I have. I will certainly mention it to the Dr and get her to check my BP when I go.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have been back to see my Dr this evening. She didn't seem too concerned with some of the readings I'd been getting in the last week. My highest reading (taken in the evening) was 9.9 and I'd had an 7.5 and 6.8 after 13hrs fasting. My lowest reading was 6.0 and that was taken around 6pm after having a lunch of chicken and mixed salad and just drinking water and 1 herbal tea.

She did suggest for me to go back in January to be retested and was also pleased with my weight loss - now a total of 16lbs over 6wks :D

I still have high blood pressure :( and came away with a prescription for some pills to try to lower it - will be starting on those tomorrow morning. I have to go back just before xmas to check if the pills are working as she only gave me a 28 day supply.

Ah well.........

magicaldebs

Hi Tigarlily
I remember going through a very similar situation just before I was diagnosed as Diabetic. The GPs seemed to be ruled by numbers, its their system of diagnosis. At first I was very pleased not to be given the label 'Diabetic' probably because it frightened the life out of me, but looking back I now realise that I was pre-diabetic for many years and should have been given better advice and monitoring.
Now 5 years on, I have realised that some of the advice I have been given by GPs, DUK etc is wrong. I followed their advice and got worse and worse. Now I follow a very low carb diet, I have lost a couple of stone, my blood sugars are stable and I have been able to reduce my medications. I also feel 100% better. I have energy and feel well for the first time in many years.
With the blood sugars you have, I would suggest that you are T2 Diabetic. There is a load of advice and support for T2s in these forums. You are not alone.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there Magicaldebs

I agree with the GPs being ruled by numbers. I'm lucky in that the female Dr I've been seeing is quite approachable (I've chosen to see her rather than the male Dr I'm actually registered with). However, she said I'd have to have 2 fasting tests at 7 or above to be classed as diabetic.

I still believe something is still not quite right and this is why I'm not letting it lie! And like you I was relieved when told I wasn't diabetic. It gave me a real scare but has made me change my bad ways - i.e. my diet! My Dr has mentioned I may be glucose intolerant which is something I don't really fully understand :? :oops:

Good on you for losing some weight - it isn't easy. You will feel a better for it - I know I do. My work colleagues are commenting that it's showing although I can't totally see it at the moment as I do have quite a lot to lose! But it does give me a buzz when people mention it :D

And yes, this forum is great. There's some fab people on here and lots of advice and support :clap: :thumbup: