I'm confused

Tan

Hello

Please can someone help with questions:

can antibiotics affects blood glucose readings?
How much can a non-diabetic related illness affect readings?
common occurence is that after 3-4 hrs of light eating my reading goes to between 11-16mml but after a short bout of light treadmill exercise at the gym (30 mins) my readings immediately fall to between 5-7. It is light walking as I have had 3 hip-replacements and cannot do vigorous exercise. So is this ok to have such a high reading that goes down low after short exercise?

I take 80mg of gliclazide daily. Any further advise will be appreciated.

Thank you

tan

Tan

Forgot to ask main question – if by exercising almost immediately after eating a sugary food blood sugar levels go down, does that make it alright to eat that food?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
One question, Tan - what foods do you eat in your 'light eating'?

As far as sugary food goes - or any very high carbohydrate food - diabetes means that you cannot metabolise carbohydrates in the same way that a 'normal' non-diabetic person does. So it's best to keep control of the amount of carbohydrate that you include in your diet. I work on the principal that some carbohydrates (icecream, cakes and biscuits, pudding etc, bread, cereals, potatoes, pasta) are always going to do me harm, so I do my best to either eliminate them completely from my diet or consume them in very small portions. I'm trying to get accustomed to not craving/eating certain foods, and I find that total abstinence is the best way (for me). I don't want complications with eyesight, feet or kidney disease.

This doesn't mean I can't have the occasional treat! I've had a very few chips (once), and an ice-cream with a chocolate flake :shock: (once) so far this year. I'm lucky, I guess - I like this way of eating.

Both illness (eg colds, flu) and stress can raise your BG levels. I'm not sure about antibiotics. Someone else will be along soon to help.

Viv 8)

Tan

Hi vivien

I eat 'light' white bread (Warbutons or weight watchers), pizza hut (3-4 slices at most); mild indian curries with light bread bit not rice or naan bread. Though I do like butter and cocolate crossant in the morning and when I do indulge, it is when I know I will be going to the gym for some exercise. That is why I asked does it matter if you eat sugary things if almost soon after you will engage in exercise.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Get yourself a carb counter book - The Calorie Carb and Fat Bible 2011, or the one in the Collins 'Gem' series, which is not quite as accurate but more portable. Eat as normal but work out you carb intake, and test before and after every meal You'll be surprised at how many carbs you are eating. Once you know how a food affects your blood glucose, you can either eat less of it or eliminate it from your diet altogether.

It's your carbohydrate intake that matters with diabetes, not your calorie intake. Your blood glucose will still spike, whether or not you bring it down quickly by exercise, and it's the spikes that do the damage. Every person is different, but if you don't have to lose weight you may be okay on between about 150g carb per day. I try not to go over 50g, normally - but then I'm fat!

Pain du chocolat - 48g carbohydrate per 100g

What vegetables do you eat? Any fruit? Protein?

Viv 8)

hallii

To answer your question, yes, it always matters if you eat sugary foods or quick acting carbs, it would be better to eat something like egg and bacon with some wholemeal bread, that would give you some slower acting carbs and keep you feeling full for much longer. As a vegetarian I do suggest that Veggie bacon style slices are nice:)

The only time you NEED to eat something sugary or quick acting is if your BGs are low, (4 or lower) and that is possible when excercising but not if you have eaten a decent meal beforehand.

I have found that eating quick acting carbs, (and, like us all I sometimes do) that it creates a desire for more of the same, eating protein and slower acting carbs seems to satisfy hunger for much longer.

As always, we all vary, and if you can eat a breakfast of quick acting carbs/sugars, excercise and test afterwards and find your BGs are OK then it is something you can manage. But I bet you will feel hungry quite quickly as your Bgs come down, at least I do.

H

Tan

" Your blood glucose will still spike, whether or not you bring it down quickly by exercise, and it's the spikes that do the damage. "

That's what I really wanted to know but if you do bring it down quickly, surely "no damage' has been done"?

I do eat all type so vegetables, not fussy and like cabbage, potatoes (mashed or boiled), peppers etc. For fruit I regularly eat oranges, apples, pears - in fact all except avoid grapes and mangoes as they make my sugar levels go haywire!

Tan

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
viviennem said:
One question, Tan - what foods do you eat in your 'light eating'?

As far as sugary food goes - or any very high carbohydrate food - diabetes means that you cannot metabolise carbohydrates in the same way that a 'normal' non-diabetic person does. So it's best to keep control of the amount of carbohydrate that you include in your diet. I work on the principal that some carbohydrates (icecream, cakes and biscuits, pudding etc, bread, cereals, potatoes, pasta) are always going to do me harm, so I do my best to either eliminate them completely from my diet or consume them in very small portions. I'm trying to get accustomed to not craving/eating certain foods, and I find that total abstinence is the best way (for me). I don't want complications with eyesight, feet or kidney disease.

This doesn't mean I can't have the occasional treat! I've had a very few chips (once), and an ice-cream with a chocolate flake :shock: (once) so far this year. I'm lucky, I guess - I like this way of eating.

Both illness (eg colds, flu) and stress can raise your BG levels. I'm not sure about antibiotics. Someone else will be along soon to help.

Viv 8)
Hiya, also antibiotics and steriod injections can definetely spike UP your BS levels up to 10 [ten] days! I found this out to my own cost beginning of this year. My consultant and DSN sat me down and explained these facts to me. Hope this helps? Anna.x :)

Tan

Hi Anna

Thanks for that info - still on 500mg Amoxillin antibiotics twice daily. Sugar levels are always under 7 - morning, afternoon or evening before meals. Never tested 2-4 hrs after --- will do tonight after a mixed grill of lamb and chicken kebabs ! But first some exercise at the gym

Tan