1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I'm diabetic vs I have diabetes

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by oweri02, Nov 29, 2015.

1. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I don't think Diabetes per se is a disease. I'd argue that it's a set of symptoms resulting from a set of different diseases or conditions - i.e. an autoimmune disease that has killed the beta cells, a metabolic condition that has resulted in insulin resistance and high blood glucose levels or the loss of the pancreas.

In and of its own, saying "I'm a diabetic" is saying "Without medication, I would suffer high blood glucose levels, become very ill and most likely die quickly". But it isn't actually, by definition, a disease!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I actually looked up an online definition of disease before posting (cos I have always felt it was dodgy territory) and the definition stated a disease is 'a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal or plant, especially one that produces specific symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of injury.'
    - Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary

I don't like it, but it fits.
    I will continue to call D a condition. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do not have a problem with the word diabetic I have just become one
    Diabetic is the perfectly valid way to describe someone with diabetes

• Like Like x 3
  4. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I don't care.

• Like Like x 3
  5. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

That's because you are not a pedant or pedantic:D

• Like Like x 5
  6. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Found this :-
    disease
    See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
    Top 1000 frequently used words
    Line breaks: dis|ease
    Pronunciation: /dɪˈziːz/

Definition of disease in English:
    noun
    1A disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury:bacterial

meningitis is quite a rare disease

[MASS NOUN]: heart disease

7. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

CONDITION

con·di·tion
    (kən-dĭsh′ən)
    n.
    1. A disease or physical ailment.
    2. A state of health or physical fitness.
    v.
    To cause an organism to respond in a specific manner to a conditioned stimulus in the absence of an unconditioned stimulus.

8. ALS

ALS LADA · Member

I must admit to reacting negatively to being called a diabetic but it does depend on the context. I'm more than 'a diabetic' and I don't want to be defined by that condition, or any illness. However, saying "I'm diabetic" can be a shortcut to communicating with some people especially when I'm querying the carb content of food. Having said that, though, I've only been diagnosed since May this year and am already sick of people telling me what I can and cannot eat and about the 'cures' for Type 1! We all wear many labels and I guess they're all appropriate in different contexts - I'm also a mother, sister, friend, wife, teacher, swimmer, wine-drinker, asthmatic, etc.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Donna68

Donna68 Type 2 · Active Member

Don't care. It is part of who I am - it is a descriptive word - just like saying I'm a red head. Therefore I am a short - *****, grumpy, diabetic, mother, nanna, sister, friend, red - head with an under active thyroid and is a bit over weight who volunteers at the junior rugby league club, and local rugby league.

• Like Like x 4
  10. SunnyExpat

SunnyExpat Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Mmmh, if being called a diabetic was the worse thing I'd been called..........

• Like Like x 8
  11. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

:hilarious: ROFL. yeh me too. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Scardoc

Scardoc · Well-Known Member

diabetic

adjective
    adjective
    having diabetes.

noun
    a person suffering from diabetes.

All the same. Interestingly, it's the same as being called a man (although the noun can also apply to woman!).

man
    adjective
    having testicles

noun
    a person suffering from having testicles

• Like Like x 4
  13. SunnyExpat

SunnyExpat Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

You've been to my local bar then?

14. mrspuddleduck

mrspuddleduck · Guest

Perhaps we should be reclassified as 'persons who are a continuous drain on the resources of the NHS including hard line tax dodgers who refuse to eat enough sugar to consider them productive members of society'.......:p:D (Sorry I've a had a bad day!!:() Sue xx

• Like Like x 10
  15. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Speak for yourself. So far in a net contributor thank you!

• Like Like x 2
  16. oweri02

oweri02 Type 1 · Member

17. fairylights

fairylights Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't think I like it much - as in ' Oh here comes the diabetic' any more than I like (since I have ginger hair) 'Oh here comes the ginger' and this is from supposed friends why not just say 'Oh here's fairylights!) But depends on the context i suppose and I guess the first one (which has been said about me more than once) is what they are trrying to get away from.

18. nickm

nickm Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I went to school, adjectives were "describing" words, not "defining" words. When did this change? Some Americans now prefer to be called a person with diabetes, which they abbreviate to PWD. According to Wikipedia, pwd stands for "person with disability" Who wants to be called that?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook