I'm lost and confused

Helen1379

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I'm.new to all this, I haven't got diabetes yet, I'm at risk of get type 2.

Doctors have put me forward for this but I haven't got a clue to what I'm doing, what I should be doing

I want to lose weight and fast, and learn healthy eating.

Please could yoh help as I'm stuck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The main thing to think about is diet, although exercise is also important. Carbs are our biggest problem food group as they are converted to glucose in the stomach and stored as fat if not needed. Try to make your meals up of mainly proteins and fat. Look for Total Carbs (on the back of packs) to find out what the content is.

Reactions: jjraak

chiefsub68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dentists.
Hi

I'm.new to all this, I haven't got diabetes yet, I'm at risk of get type 2.

Doctors have put me forward for this but I haven't got a clue to what I'm doing, what I should be doing

I want to lose weight and fast, and learn healthy eating.

Please could yoh help as I'm stuck
Hello Helen and welcome to the group. Please concentrate on a *gentle but determined* change of lifestyle, which will involve watching your diet and increased exercise.
When I found I was T2 nine years ago I too wanted to lose weight fast and made the mistake of going on one of the powder diets. Yes I lost 10kg in 3 months but within seven months it was back on again.
Follow the advice of your diabetes nurse with regard to the type of food to eat and the types to avoid. Smaller portions or the right food are key, followed by cutting out snacks in between meals if you can.
Take a personal pledge to walk/cycle for any journey of up to 6km/10km -- leave the car at home and make time in your day for the newfound exercise (this applies more to people in the UK/Europe than North America, where such a change may be harder owing to cities' infrastructure.)
These changes are for the rest of your life. There is no magic wand. Slowly, steadily is best.

Reactions: andromache
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Helen, What others said is spot on. See if you can get a copy of this book and go through it https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving/dp/0316182699 It is one of the best resources out there for Diabetes education. Essentially, since you are still in pre-diabetes stage, by turning your diet primarily to protein e.g. Eggs, Meat, Tofu, Cheese, nuts and refraining from things like Bread, Rice, grains, even fruits (have tons of carbs), hopefully you can stall the further onset of diabetes or push it out for a good long time.

Reactions: andromache