I'm no Michael Phelps

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Surgeon clearance obtained....in fact positively encouraged. move over Man from Atlantis......wait till they get a bit of me(once I'm out of hospital).

Was advised to check with my podiatry team who I'm seeing on tuesday

Reactions: Pipp

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
First session done.......quite enjoyable

Started off like a steam train and completed the first few lengths way too quickly and paid for it later.....was literally treading water as I completed the last of my 17 x 25m lengths........at one point the baywatch bods looked ready to dive in and rescue me LOL

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you enjoyed your swim, @Traceymac23 . I haven’t been able to get to the pool for several weeks, and really miss it. When I do get back, I will build up time and distance gradually, as I am aware too much too soon = setback.
Take it slowly. After being out of action a while, don’t want to do more damage than good.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love those swim Sox, will be good for my operated feet, not because of the scars but to protect my tender joints from the hard surfaces at swimming pools. Thanks for a link @Goonergal .
@Traceymac23 if anyone asks tell them a shark got your toe! ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

LOL about the shark. :D

Slightly different tack here. My daughter has lessons every week. She has picked up some verrucas. So we took her to the doctor expecting him to suggest covering the foot with a protective sock. But he said medical opinion has changed such that no protection should be adopted and the verrucas will just go in their own time.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love those swim Sox, will be good for my operated feet, not because of the scars but to protect my tender joints from the hard surfaces at swimming pools. Thanks for a link @Goonergal .

I’m thinking of getting some as I slip and slide about the place at the pool and I’m also thinking they’ll provide a bit of protection from the cold, which I suspect contributes to the cramps I often get when swimming.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m thinking of getting some as I slip and slide about the place at the pool and I’m also thinking they’ll provide a bit of protection from the cold, which I suspect contributes to the cramps I often get when swimming.

I used to swim competitively, and the golden rule in those days (long ago) was not to eat beforehand to avoid cramps. Like everything else, these "rules" change and goal posts move.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to swim competitively, and the golden rule in those days (long ago) was not to eat beforehand to avoid cramps. Like everything else, these "rules" change and goal posts move.

Interesting. My swimming is either early morning, in which case I’m fasted or after dinner, in which case I’m not! Haven’t noticed a difference in whether I cramp more in morning or evening so will pay more attention!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Managed 24 lengths today.........good news/bad news..........my leisure centre has an outdoor lido.....however the antibiotics I'm on say NO DIRECT SUNLIGHT so had to use the factor 40 and get in and out of the pool as quickly as possible to stay covered up.

I found that when I get a bit puffed out a length of easy backstroke(borderline laying on back and treading water so progress is slow and easy)allows a bit of recovery to get a second wind.

Reactions: Bluetit1802