I'm panicking.

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, in the last week I went to see my GP about high blood pressure. I have been fine until now just found out in a random check. So on Tuesday I go and visit my GP had standard blood test on Wednesday. Thursday got a call sugar is very high need more test. Had the A1c ( long term sugar) test yesterday Friday about 11.00 am at 5.00 pm my GP surgery rang(receptionist) and said I was being informed that my result was very high 16.6 if I feel unwell I should go to A and E . If all is well I should come and see the GP on Monday.

I have stopped eating sugar all together for 18 hours and reduced my carbs. Had 1 cup of tea with milk and no sugar and an omelet for breakfast. Should I go to A &E. It is Saturday and service is going to be bad. There will be no consultants till Monday.

I AM PANICKING. PLEASE GUIDE ME .........

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
How do you feel? It is high but there are a few things you can do. First stop panicking, drink more water - it reduces sugar in the blood. Go for a walk, steady exercise reduces levels.
It can take a week or two to reduce levels by diet alone. Trudy Deakin has a book (think that's her name) about LCHF-low carb high fat. Worth getting, More folk will be on soon to curb your anxiety. This is a good well used and helpful forum, so stick around and read around.

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you feeling ill?
Your surgery advised you to go if you are feeling ill, but to hang on till Monday, if not. I would stick with their instructions.

I agree that if you go to A&E on a Saturday, you will be waiting ages. Hopefully a T1 will come along soon and speak from their experiences of this...

In the meantime, I should drink plenty of water, if you can. It helps the kidneys flush excess sugar out of the blood. Don't drink soda, squash, pop or anything with sugar in it. Or fruit juice, because that contains natural sugars too.

Reactions: 6 people

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I'm type two the same as the o/p, in recent past when I quit all my meds my BG was between 22 & 35 it took several weeks to come down to 5-7 using diet, I felt fine at those numbers at the beginning of December I was testing 13-15 but felt well, so I had no reason for A&E.

The o/p mentioned the Hba1c but those numbers would be higher than 16.6 which sounds more like a BG meter reading, as said already drinking water, take a bit of a walk if you're able too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi A_Sun. Welcome and like the others on this forum have said: don't panic! Just avoid sugary foods and drink plenty of fluids and you will be fine to attend your GP appointment on Monday. Take things 1 step at a time. :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi A_Sun. There's always someone on this forum. If in doubt? Just post a question and someone will answer. In fact just ask as many questions as you want really. And stop worrying - just chill.:D:D

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi A-Sun
I too was told 2 weeks ago that if I felt ill to go to A and E my reading was 18.8 I panicked too still do I went straight home cut out sugar try and drink as much as I can eat veg and fruit daily I do my bloods 3 times a day at the minute they are all over the place but got down to 14 then 9 then back to 14 seems to stay around 12 in a morning have to see diabetic nurse and doctor next week. You are not alone I know how you feel as do others. Stay focused if you can :happy:

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi thank you everyone. Especially Liam1955. I am grateful for your suggestions. I have not felt great in the day. In the past when I felt like I felt in the day I went and ate something. I have a sweet tooth so I would eat something sugary. Today I have not had any sugar. I think I was having sugar withdrawal. Anyway just had dinner mainly protein with very little fat and salt . Actually I cooked for my family and myself.

I am feeling a lot better. In the day after reading the posts I drank more water and went for a 15 minute gentle walk. It made me feel better so I decided to do the cooking.
I am happy I

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi A_Sun. Have been reading the threads and no one has tagged @daisy1 - shortly information will be sent to you that all newbies receive. :):)

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi thank you everyone. Especially Liam1955. I am grateful for your suggestions. I have not felt great in the day. In the past when I felt like I felt in the day I went and ate something. I have a sweet tooth so I would eat something sugary. Today I have not had any sugar. I think I was having sugar withdrawal. Anyway just had dinner mainly protein with very little fat and salt . Actually I cooked for my family and myself.

I am feeling a lot better. In the day after reading the posts I drank more water and went for a 15 minute gentle walk. It made me feel better so I decided to do the cooking.
I am happy I found this forum. Thank you everyone once again. I will be frequenting this group often.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored

I am happy I
Hi A_Sun
I have a sweet tooth too and being told I had diabetes has been a blow as we all know but I can now look at it as at least now it has made me look at my eating habits in a different light, not a bad thing really as I have now stopped even buying my grandchildren sweets, think I may go for a gentle walk tomorrow too.

Reactions: 5 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. It can be a shock to the system but at least you have found the forum so no need to ever panic, everyone here is great and we are always willing to try and help with any questions you.may have.

Reactions: 7 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

I am happy I
Don't fear the fat, it fills you. It's cobblers that fat makes you fat. Eat olive oil on salads, cook in lard or butter. Eat oily fish, avocado and coconut oil.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi and welcome to the forum. It can be a shock to the system but at least you have found the forum so no need to ever panic, everyone here is great and we are always willing to try and help with any questions you.may have.
Hi , just read your post good on you keep it up A M grundy

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi A_Sun. :) How's the blood sugar readings this morning?

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Survived the weekend with this forum. This morning GP called at 8.45am just as my kids left for school. I was asked to go to GP straight away , from there I was whisked off to A&E and now admitted in hospital in acute medical unit. Been given a formal diagnosis of diabetes and severe high blood pressure. Had 3 ECGs lots of blood tests and urine tests. Dr was pretty straight- no sugar , cut the salt, loose the weight 12-15 kgs , go on a diet and start exercise.
Got a treadmill ECG tomorrow and seeing a cardiologist. I am certain I will be fine now.
Sadly for me I do not fall in the obese category, just round in shape, never had an alcoholic drink or a cigarette and lived a moderate life all these years. I am 47 years old. Just stress and sleep deprivation.
So to sum it up you don't need to drink or smoke to get sick.
I will keep you posted.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to know you are getting properly assessed!

Please, let us know how you get on?

I think you will find that there are many, many of us here who are sick without smoking or drinking (or having a bad diet) causing it. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi A_Sun. I am sorry to read that you are in hospital!! But as Brunneria has already said: 'You are getting properly assessed'. Do keep us updated here on the forum? Get Well Soon:):):)

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have not had any info on posters nor have I heard from daisy1. I have been given metformin 500mg 1st dose at 6.30pm and the next will be in the morning. The other medication I have been prescribed is ramifin 2.5mg once a day for the blood pressure/ heart - will start that at 8.00am in the morning. Nurse said I need to be plugged in to a heart monitor but there isn't one free .

For now I am off to sleep.

Thank you everyone.