Im prediabetic and vegetarian- HELP

Alexia94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone

So I am pre diabetic with a HB1AC of 6.2.

I am not on any medication and exercise 4-5 times a week. Struggling to lose weight ( 56 kg with a BMI of 23).

I am hungry all the time so I need help with finding foods that have a tonne of protein and fibre but very low in carb so i dont get hungry. Because right anything I eat goes right through me and I starve!

I am vegetarian but I can only eat chicken and egg. I LOVE egg.

Another thing- how is Soy milk for diabetes/ pre diabetes?

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Enjoy-food/Eating-with-diabetes/vegetarian-diets/ where you may find useful ideas.
May I ask how you can be vegetarian if you eat chicken? What about fish?
I know nothing about soy milk, except that I don't like it, are you lactose intolerant too?
I am coeliac and can't eat gluten, so if I eat cerials/bread/biscuits etc the food also goes straight through me too. Also I don't really like vegetables, really truly don't like the taste - difficult.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Avocado.

For me grains and carbs in general will make me hungry. I need fats such as avocado , mayo and nuts and I need to keep my carbs very low or I am ravenous. Over eating protein makes me ravenous too.
You might be fueling your body with the wrong fuel. IF you are eating lots of carbs you might try really minimizing them and replacing them with healthy fats. Eggs are great as is chicken but you don't need tons of protein either. Excess protein turns to blood sugar. Obviously carbs have the biggest effect , protein next and fat very little.

Minimizing carbs in exchange for fat will most likely help you lose weigh as well. Fat IN THE ABSENCE of carbs will not make you fat

Can you tell us what your current diet is like?

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im not vegetarian but Im an eggaholic. Tortilla with no potatoes is a staple in my life. Plenty of green veg, courgette, green beans, spinach. Beware of onions, tomatoes and peppers, some people are OK others not.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Kristin251 regarding too many carbs (and probably too much protein) making you hungry.

There are plenty of non meat sources of fat - just think oil instead of fat: Kristin's beloved avocados, nuts, nut oils and butters, olives & olive oil, coconut oil, butter & milk...

Avocados are especially good for us on low carb diets, as they contain a lot of different minerals and are particularly rich in potassium and magnesium, and together with salt we need to keep up our levels of these two, as we lose a lot more of them due to our kidneys
flushing them out with the extra fluid we're losing.

Robbity

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am slightly confused .. or reading your post wrong .. could you please confirm if you are vegetarian.. or not .. your post says you eat chicken !!! or do you mean hens eggs .. Eggs are good .. going LCHF I think is easer for a vegetarian, as we don't overdo the protein part of this way of eating. Eating full fat foods like nuts and cheese is good .. olive oil and coconut oil also good.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm confused to as you did say in your original post that you are vegetarian but eat chicken and eggs but later said you are not vegetarian. Either way carbs makes most people hungry. Replacing them with healthy fats and eating moderate, not lots of protein should make a huge difference. I actually prefer the majority of my fats to be plant fats rather than animal fats.
But I still love a rare burger.

Alexia94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I mix and match with the following:

• Quinoa bean salad

• Baked egg in roasted capsicum

• Shakshuka ( 2 baked eggs with tomato simmer sauce and mixed beans, avocado)

• Roasted egg plant ( 2 long slices) with tomatos, mozzarella cheese and basil leaves.

• Spinach and mushroom quiche

• Roasted zucchini tomatos, mozzarella cheese and basil leaves.
  • 1 slice of toast with peanut butter and protein shake for breakfast ( this is never really filling)

I did not sleep because my stomach grumbles This is really disrupting my lifestyle. Why does chicken and salad not fill me up

I had a protein shake afterwards its got 2 grams of carbs and 22 grams of protein, and is 113 calories. That did not help.
At night nothing seems to calm my stomach after dinner

Im wondering whether appetite suppressants may be a next go to when I see my doctor tomorrow.

I doubt she will give me anything considering BMI is only 23

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not enough fat and too many carbs for me. Grains will BRING ON THE HUNGER FOR ME .
protein shakes are known to spike insulin. You are eating a lot of foods that spike insulin and you don't produce insulin so you will feel "off"

Chicken and salad will not fill me up without enough fat added like avocado or mayo

sammy123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Im worried to incorporate fat in my diet as i dont want to gain weight > <

Can you modify the list above with some recommendations that may assist me?

Whey protein not good? I feel mislead. My dietician asked me to use a protein shake to help me with the hunger when she knew was I was insulin resistance!!!

Should I throw out the protein powder

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that without carbs I need fat or I am hungry all the time. Can you eat nuts and nut butters? How about avocados? Coconut?

Many people here seem to have lost considerable weight when substituting fat for carbs, so I'd try it out.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Appetite suppressants are not your answer. Fat is an appetite suppressant by it self.
The quinoa bean salad I assume has no fat or protein add some chicken and mayo, olive oil (though oils act like water to me) or butter. Some fat and protein

Baked egg add avocado

Roasted egg plant add chicken pieces

My stomach grumbles when I do t feed it right. You tend toward vegetarian and maybe that isn't right for you. Maybe some fish or more protein. Not gobs but more. Not all veggies are the same and some make my tummy rumble, even more so, too many. I need the fats. Fats IN THE ABCENSE OF CARBS TO DOT MAKE YOU FAT.

AGAIN, try reducing carbs and exchanging for fats. I know your fear but what you're doing now isn't working. If you don't change something nothing will change. Right?