I'm scared

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Pastas no good either. 4 mouthfuls and went from 5.3 to 7.3 within 30 minutes. Still at 7.3 I hour later. 4 mouthfuls?! Left overs from daughter. Just curious. Wow. Imagine what it would have been if I'd eaten half a portion! So to get this straight. I'd have been even more obese than when I first started and never in work if I followed the NHS healthy plate! Bit of a no brainier really! Please stop laughing!

I'll stop laughing when the medical establishment quits pushing the healthy plate loaded with carbs as the good choice for diabetics - my GP thinks I'm cured - he doesn't get it. Sometimes I think of eating like they want me too and go back with the high BG and then have him ***** at me for not complying.

As for body changes, yes I did see changes, but I always have to be watching how much I eat otherwise the weight creeps on. But I exercise and run like a fiend and I am so happy that my muscles have come back - I know male vanity.

Pasta was my fav food before and when I learned that 2oz was a serving size I said what's the use and don't eat it. I try and not eat any processed foods and I came to a realization that pasta, bread, cake, cookies, etc are processed even if Grandma made them - my blood glucose kit and insulin pen is a constant reminder to keep on the straight and narrow and that my feet and toes are not burning and sore any more.

On Sunday I went to a Scottish High tea that was a fund raiser so that my sons theater group can attend Fringe in Scotland this summer. When I checked out the great spread I realized there was not much that I could eat. So I hade tea with a bit more cream and nibbled out of my hypo Baggie of nuts, raisins, and pumpkin seeds.

How do you handle tea? ( sorry in advance if I am sounding dumb ) I was thinking of stripping out the white bread and eating the insides only, but that didn't seem cool. The soda cookies I almost gave into rationalizing that soda didn't raise BG lol

Scandichic

Sent from Runner2009 Burt

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
A Scottish high tea ? In san Francisco. And I noticed you used the word wee earlier.
It was a fund raiser and advertised as such - I'm sure it was an American interpretation of such - probably just 'regular' non-cocktail party tea? ( I know I'm sounding like an idiot )

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I've not heard of a Scottish high tea.

I've heard of a Glasgow salad (bag of chips) :p

Oh my, it was a fund raiser, everyone throwing it were dressed in kilts. We were buffaloed. I should have taken photos and you could all had a good laugh.

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Oh my, it was a fund raiser, everyone throwing it were dressed in kilts. We were buffaloed. I should have taken photos and you could all had a good laugh.

Your son will have a great time in Edinburgh. Hope the fundraising is going well :)

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes

Probably tartan skirts rather than real kilts

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
These threads are very much like internet browsing. You go online to look for the cheapest test strips and two minutes later you are looking at cottages for rent in Peru.

Reactions: 6 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
My biggest trouble is the foods I like to eat, I don't like tomatoes, celery, onion, cucumber, mushrooms, peppers. I don't mind celery if it's cooked like in a soup or stew, same with onions but they have to be soft. I have tried to eat these foods but can never get used to them. Where can I find your recipes?

Hi Andy, how you doing today? It's a great shame that you don't like all this stuff, it's just so useful when it comes to eating low carb. I know you say that you have tried to like them but what I have found is that my tastes and appetites have changed so massively that I eat things now that I never thought I would touch :). Could you trawl the recipes section here and maybe try some of them that contain just one of things you don't like? Perhaps try another the next day? Re-educating our taste buds is difficult I know and no matter how hard I try I just can't eat sprouts or broccoli so I do understand where you are coming from. Low carbing is fantastic though and the more variety you can get into your diet each day, the more likely you are to stick with it.

Having said that, even if you still can't eat your pet hates, there is a huge variety of food that is low carb so you could have fun with it. Someone on here said it takes 60 days to change a habit and that's sticking to it too but it does work....I am walking proof of that.

Good Luck Andy and keep posting won't you? :D

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I agree with Popsy about changing tastes. I am only a few months in and have found my taste buds have changed. Mildly sweet things taste very sweet to me now.

You might consider trying the veg you don't like but preparing it a different way e.g. raw peppers have a very different taste and texture compared to roast peppers. Hope you find something tasty that suits you :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I agree with Popsy about changing tastes. I am only a few months in and have found my taste buds have changed. Mildly sweet things taste very sweet to me now.

You might consider trying the veg you don't like but preparing it a different way e.g. raw peppers have a very different taste and texture compared to roast peppers. Hope you find something tasty that suits you :)
Much preferred milk choc prior to LCHF but since then find it too sweet. Now only have dark. Only 2 squares. Don't generally eat cake. No biscuits. Occasional sweet. Cake is rare and only half a slice. Cheese and nuts are. Y treats.

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ya, its a common practice in my home, 3 of us will share a slice of cheese cake. usually with coffee wo milk or sweetener. i heard its different there in europe.

occasional sweet treats i think its ok. not too much. the problem is the many defination of occasion.

i would say. noone here likes diabetes, but it comes most likely becos of the food we ate for years. so for me, my approach is siMple. if all the food i like to eat causes something i do not like which is a high price i could not afford.

for the sake of my family, i think if a change in eating habit could give my family and myself a chance. why not? even if i fail, my children will learn that we have to try our best when we never kNow whats the outcome. but if you never try its already a failure

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I just wish cafés sold children's or half portions. I would never eat a whole piece of cake but would happily eat a quarter to half of a raspberry bakewell in costa on the rare occasion we go there. Don't bother with dessert at home unless I make my own ice-cream. Always have my square of choccie in an evening.

bigshow1271

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, been on the LCHF for nearly 2 weeks now and finding it hard to stick to as I'm unemployed and it's the price of food to eat we're having problems with. Still experimenting at the moment with what foods send my sugar up but I am trying. Still no proper advice from the doctors, when you can get an appointment. I am liking the comments and help on here, it's very useful. I suppose I do need to re-educate my taste buds to try more foods and there is no easy fix to all this

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Bigshow. I have noticed I am spending more on food now too. Fortunately I like almost all veg, so if I see anything with a yellow sticker on it, I grab it.

Reactions: 4 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hi Bigshow. I have noticed I am spending more on food now too. Fortunately I like almost all veg, so if I see anything with a yellow sticker on it, I grab it.
Markets towards the end of the market day are also very good value as they reduce prices to shift their stock

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.