I'm so pleased

alison2345

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with diabetes on 1 March after 2 fasting glucose levels of 9.5. My doctor told me to take them one day before breakfast, miss a day, before lunch, miss a day, before tea, miss a day, before bed then back to the beginning. I have been testing them before breakfast every day and they have been ranging from 5 to up 6. I have tested it today before lunch and it was 4.8. I am pleased with myself because that is without medication. I don't think my GP will put me on medication.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Looking good Alison! :D

Nigel

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
well done alison,
hope you can stay meds free :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Your blood sugar levels are good before meals but.... what about 2 hours after you eat ? Without this information you do not know what the foods you are eating are doing to your blood sugar levels.

The doctors recommendations are a cost saving exercise to stop you using too many test strips.
Testing two hours after eating every meal initially when you are newly diagnosed will help you understand and control your diabetes better. Some foods can seriously raise your levels but then drop back down to a lower level before you eat next time. This will be reflected in your Hba1c test the next time you have it done and may be higher than you expected if you just go by the pre meal levels.

There is a lot more to controlling your blood sugar levels than just going by the pre meal test.