im type 2 my husband now type 1 at 69

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
  • Hi all
  • Just wondering if anyone can just know by their experience im type 2 have been for about 6 years and now mostly undercontrol with help of metformin .
  • The big shocker for me was last weekend i had to get a ambulance for my husband of 23 years as he was not recovering from flu after a week bear in mind usually fit and active no medical problems and no symptoms of anything when he got to a and e he was diagnosed with pnemonia and DKA we have since discoverd he is now type 1 his blood sugar last sunday was 30 and we also discoverd he had pnemonia sorry for any spelling mistakes im still in shock at all this he is till in hospital and still on antibiotics they say he is doing ok and responding but he is so weak and still cant get out of bed he just feels he cant try to get up, there not telling me much else at the moment but i am just wondering is it normal to be weak after this i know i think we nearly lost him he was that bad and im glad i got the ambulance when i did just wondering if anyone knows how you are after a bad episode of dka, he is a lot older than me but he is my life and im so worried about him
  • thanks Jan

Reactions: Ponchu

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother in law just got over pneumonia and she was very weak she couldn't eat she couldn't get up either, she is still recovering and that was from December, she's type 2 and her sugar was high too not as high as your husbands, but it was high for her .
I don't know much about this illness but she was very weak and pale . I pray your husband recovers well x

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mother in law just got over pneumonia and she was very weak she couldn't eat she couldn't get up either, she is still recovering and that was from December, she's type 2 and her sugar was high too not as high as your husbands, but it was high for her .
I don't know much about this illness but she was very weak and pale . I pray your husband recovers well x

thank you

D

Deleted Account

Very sorry to read about the scare from your husband.
It sounds as if he is getting great care. With both pneumonia and DKA his body has a lot to recover from.

I can’t offer many insights but wanted to say not to forget to look after yourself.
The shock of your hisband’s condition may cause your BG to rise. Don’t beat yourself up about it: it is unsurprising. Be nice to yourself.

Reactions: jan.steamqueen67

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All this must have come as a big shock to you. An episode of DKA is bound to leave your husband feeling weak/aching all over with every movement. It wears off, but it is a gradual process as the body recovers and all its chemistry starts to work properly again. Pneumonia can cause fatigue as well, but that should tail off rapidly when the infection has been dealt with. The two in combination must be a real problem.

Please don't panic. It really does take time for anyone of any age to get over DKA. Your husband must be feeling down and worried, but that too is normal in the circumstances. Any diagnosis of diabetes comes as a shock, which doesn't help when you feel rough. Just give it time and learn about type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed aged 10 and have had it 54 years so far. Things will get better. Best wishes.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All this must have come as a big shock to you. An episode of DKA is bound to leave your husband feeling weak/aching all over with every movement. It wears off, but it is a gradual process as the body recovers and all its chemistry starts to work properly again. Pneumonia can cause fatigue as well, but that should tail off rapidly when the infection has been dealt with. The two in combination must be a real problem.

Please don't panic. It really does take time for anyone of any age to get over DKA. Your husband must be feeling down and worried, but that too is normal in the circumstances. Any diagnosis of diabetes comes as a shock, which doesn't help when you feel rough. Just give it time and learn about type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed aged 10 and have had it 54 years so far. Things will get better. Best wishes.

Hello yes it has come as a shock but thank you for your reply it helps Jan

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
So sorry to hear that. It must have been and still will be a massive shock. Just to say we are all rooting for you both. And when you are ready for any help in dealing with type 1, we are all here for you too.
Stay strong
Take care not only of your hubby but if yourself too.

Reactions: jan.steamqueen67

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  • Hi all
  • Just wondering if anyone can just know by their experience im type 2 have been for about 6 years and now mostly undercontrol with help of metformin .
  • The big shocker for me was last weekend i had to get a ambulance for my husband of 23 years as he was not recovering from flu after a week bear in mind usually fit and active no medical problems and no symptoms of anything when he got to a and e he was diagnosed with pnemonia and DKA we have since discoverd he is now type 1 his blood sugar last sunday was 30 and we also discoverd he had pnemonia sorry for any spelling mistakes im still in shock at all this he is till in hospital and still on antibiotics they say he is doing ok and responding but he is so weak and still cant get out of bed he just feels he cant try to get up, there not telling me much else at the moment but i am just wondering is it normal to be weak after this i know i think we nearly lost him he was that bad and im glad i got the ambulance when i did just wondering if anyone knows how you are after a bad episode of dka, he is a lot older than me but he is my life and im so worried about him
  • thanks Jan
DKA and pneumonia are biggies on their own, and he got hit with both. He'll need some time to recover, I'm sure, and yes, that would be normal. The T1 will also be a blow, so yeah... You'll both have a lot to deal with in the time to come, but for now: all this is normal, and all you can do right now is learn what you can about T1. It'll be too much for him to take in in all likelyhood, so.... If you can do it together, all the better!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @jan.steamqueen67 , DKA is a major assault on the body and it will take time to recover from.

I was dx'd at 21, was unconscious for about 24 hours, my sister told me later that the docs had told my parents that it was 50/50 on whether I would wake up.

It was a long time ago now, 30 years, so I'm a bit vague about the timings, but certainly for the first week or two, I was very delicate, when I went out for a walk, I was toddling along at a very slow pace, being overtaken by pensioners on zimmer frames!

But once I started regaining lost weight and getting my strength back, I was back to more or less normal after about a month to six weeks.

Of course, with your man being older, it might take longer.

But rest assured, insulin is a marvellous thing, so provided the docs have gotten him out of the danger zone and are getting the body chemistry back to normal, it should be good steady progress from here on in. Once on insulin, you don't "relapse" back into dka.

If people are careless with their insulin by not taking it, it is possible for T1s to slip into dka quite quickly - we see that a lot with youngsters who are in "denial" or have diabulimia, misguidedly trying to lose weight.

But if insulin is taken regularly, dka isn't something to worry about.

My dka at dx is the one and only time I've been in dka - it's not been an issue for me at all since then in 30 years.

You're probably not thinking too much about the longer term aspects of it at the moment, but please be assured T1 is a totally manageable condition.

The idea of injecting can freak some people out, but, honestly, the needles are tiny, and most of us find them totally painless. It's really not like when a nurse is putting a big needle in a vein.

There's also a surprising amount of leeway on food. I wouldn't go recommending 18 inch pizzas and lots of doughnuts, but, provided some attention is paid to insulin dosage and timing, pretty much everything is still on the menu, so he is unlikely to have to radically change his diet, maybe just some tweaks here and there.

People respond to dx in different ways. You obviously know him better than we do, but don't be surprised if he gets moody or angry at times. Being dx'd can feel like a loss of control and we've read lots of posts from people saying how angry they feel. I felt that way too for a while. It does pass, though, and we all generally find a way of accepting it.

Best wishes.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
  • Hi all
  • thanks Jan
Hi Jan. I hope by now your husband is feeling a little better and cannot wait to come out of hospital? DKA is horrible and a scary business but he will be okay and his prior good health should really help!
Note that his illness may have triggered the type 1 and it isn't unusual to get it in older age after stress or an illness. I truly hope he will regain his energy and confidence to live his life just as before albeit with a new challenge! The fact that he may now have to count carbohydrates to dose insulin correctly may also help your own type 2 and the advantage of his late diagnosis is that he is unlikely to develop complications unless he doesn't look after himself.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jan cant offer anything practical but just to send best wishes and hugs to you both. Do let us knowhow he gets on. Will be thinking of you.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
  • Hi all
  • thanks Jan
Hi @jan.steamqueen67, I'm sorry to hear about what you're both going through. It's sometimes harder to be the other person in situations like this, so I get how you're feeling. However, as a T1 for over 30 years all I can say is that @Scott-C's right, T1 is manageable though it can take a while to get into the way of things. I'm sure you'll both cope, and this forum is a brilliant place for help and advice. I'm not surprised your husband's reeling from what he's been through, wish him a speedy recovery and the best to both of you.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jan.steamqueen67. What a shock it must have been for you both. I know nothing about either problems but want to say be strong for your husband and look after yourself. This forum is good and are always there for each other at anytime of the day and night. Big hugs to you both and mind how you go!!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi, @jan.steamqueen67 , DKA is a major assault on the body and it will take time to recover from.

I was dx'd at 21, was unconscious for about 24 hours, my sister told me later that the docs had told my parents that it was 50/50 on whether I would wake up.

It was a long time ago now, 30 years, so I'm a bit vague about the timings, but certainly for the first week or two, I was very delicate, when I went out for a walk, I was toddling along at a very slow pace, being overtaken by pensioners on zimmer frames!

But once I started regaining lost weight and getting my strength back, I was back to more or less normal after about a month to six weeks.

Of course, with your man being older, it might take longer.

But rest assured, insulin is a marvellous thing, so provided the docs have gotten him out of the danger zone and are getting the body chemistry back to normal, it should be good steady progress from here on in. Once on insulin, you don't "relapse" back into dka.

If people are careless with their insulin by not taking it, it is possible for T1s to slip into dka quite quickly - we see that a lot with youngsters who are in "denial" or have diabulimia, misguidedly trying to lose weight.

But if insulin is taken regularly, dka isn't something to worry about.

My dka at dx is the one and only time I've been in dka - it's not been an issue for me at all since then in 30 years.

You're probably not thinking too much about the longer term aspects of it at the moment, but please be assured T1 is a totally manageable condition.

The idea of injecting can freak some people out, but, honestly, the needles are tiny, and most of us find them totally painless. It's really not like when a nurse is putting a big needle in a vein.

There's also a surprising amount of leeway on food. I wouldn't go recommending 18 inch pizzas and lots of doughnuts, but, provided some attention is paid to insulin dosage and timing, pretty much everything is still on the menu, so he is unlikely to have to radically change his diet, maybe just some tweaks here and there.

People respond to dx in different ways. You obviously know him better than we do, but don't be surprised if he gets moody or angry at times. Being dx'd can feel like a loss of control and we've read lots of posts from people saying how angry they feel. I felt that way too for a while. It does pass, though, and we all generally find a way of accepting it.

Best wishes.
Hi @Scott-C Superb response! I would like to add that in my more controlled years as a Type 1 I would experience DKA when any viruses winged through work. Generally I would not show symptons of the virus, but I remember a particular instance when I was teaching a remedial lesson and my muscles locked up, my breathing was very slow and laboured, and I was trying desperately not to be overtaken by deep sleep. I left the room, did a test - 32 and was sick. I gave myself a large dose of fast acting and did not come down till late evening, when I still had a reading of 16 and the all too revealing smell of pear drops. I think germs are the bane of a diabetic's life. As I say to children, I wouldn't mind them using me as a host if they weren't so aggressive about it!