I'm Type 2. Should I be at work?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What I have done this afternoon:
I emailed my Gp asking about being in the vulnerable group, diabetes, regarding COVID-19, so do I need to distance my self, I need clarification ?
I have two jobs, one has now stopped, with further updates. My other job involves working with Special Needs Children, most with HCP (Health Care Package) and I was told today that these schools will be staying open, unless told not to.
I emailed the County Council 2 days ago and I still haven't received a reply. Tomorrow, I will be phoning them.

Max68

Hi Richard, Thanks for your reply. Had trouble logging in on Edge browser.

Glad you said what you said as I feel the same. I'm trying to be the voice of reason with one or two others. One is Type 2 and has a higher HBA1C that me and another has limited kidney capacity and they are itching to get back. I'm trying to softly advise them that it's better getting back eventually than not getting back at all !!

It will be interesting to see what my GP says tomorrow but I suspect that no-one can 100% say for sure so like you say it's probably good to just state diabetic is diabetic and all act accordingly under that banner. I'm on statins and meds for blood pressure as well and whilst it's fine once again you never know. I'm also stupidly a smoker (no lectures please, I know!!) as well, although now I've cut right back so that doesn't help with a respiratory virus. Too many risks not worth risking. I did see one article that stated controlled diabetics have the same risk as the general population but that advice is not popping up everywhere so if you can't guarantee then it's not worth the risk.

If I was in mainstream there wouldn't be an issue, so it will be interesting later to see what the PM says about vulnerable children as hopefully he will explain yesterdays announcement in more detail. Hopefully employers will be sensible and sympathetic. They won't want any staff becoming part of the statistics!!

On a lighter note. Since my HBA1C increase in December I've tried being more careful. Sweets were my stupid picking in front of the TV idiocy. Now however I have switched to black or red grapes and dark chocolate in its various forms. However I have seen such conflicting stories about grapes. Some say they are high GI some say low and some articles state "red and black grapes have a component named “Resveratrol” to help curb the risk of diabetes." Any ideas?!?!? So confusing. Don't want the grapes ending up a worse bet than Rhubarb and Custards!!!

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Richard, Thanks for your reply. Had trouble logging in on Edge browser.

Glad you said what you said as I feel the same. I'm trying to be the voice of reason with one or two others. One is Type 2 and has a higher HBA1C that me and another has limited kidney capacity and they are itching to get back. I'm trying to softly advise them that it's better getting back eventually than not getting back at all !!

It will be interesting to see what my GP says tomorrow but I suspect that no-one can 100% say for sure so like you say it's probably good to just state diabetic is diabetic and all act accordingly under that banner. I'm on statins and meds for blood pressure as well and whilst it's fine once again you never know. I'm also stupidly a smoker (no lectures please, I know!!) as well, although now I've cut right back so that doesn't help with a respiratory virus. Too many risks not worth risking. I did see one article that stated controlled diabetics have the same risk as the general population but that advice is not popping up everywhere so if you can't guarantee then it's not worth the risk.

If I was in mainstream there wouldn't be an issue, so it will be interesting later to see what the PM says about vulnerable children as hopefully he will explain yesterdays announcement in more detail. Hopefully employers will be sensible and sympathetic. They won't want any staff becoming part of the statistics!!

On a lighter note. Since my HBA1C increase in December I've tried being more careful. Sweets were my stupid picking in front of the TV idiocy. Now however I have switched to black or red grapes and dark chocolate in its various forms. However I have seen such conflicting stories about grapes. Some say they are high GI some say low and some articles state "red and black grapes have a component named “Resveratrol” to help curb the risk of diabetes." Any ideas?!?!? So confusing. Don't want the grapes ending up a worse bet than Rhubarb and Custards!!!

Hi! Just to say I often eat grapes to treat mild hypoglycaemias, so yes they are sugary. But they're fruit so much better than anything like sweets or processed 'junk' food :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Max68

Hi! Just to say I often eat grapes to treat mild hypoglycaemias, so yes they are sugary. But they're fruit so much better than anything like sweets or processed 'junk' food :)

Thank you so much. They are so difficult to "eat just a few though". Difficult to get them at the moment. When you are trying to "eat right" all these panic buyers don't help. Wonder if diabetes is a condition that might allow you to go to the early hours shop with older people and other vulnerable people at the Supermarkets? Easy way to do it would be to show your medical exception card for free prescriptions.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't want the grapes ending up a worse bet than Rhubarb and Custards!!!
If you are trying to low carb then grapes are best avoided.
Raspberries and strawberries (but not blueberries) are ok in limited amounts.

Grapes 15-20% sugar (carbs)
Raspberries under 5%

Sandrao

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Max!

My reading of it is that it doesn't matter if you are a reasonably healthy diabetic and have it fairly under control. I think the message is "if you have it, you have it, therefore you are more at risk, so you shouldn't be in school".

My Head has been supportive, as I said, and there's actually now 5-6 of us not in school, due to asthma and other conditions, as well as my diabetes.

I know what you mean about the other staff who do have young children to look after, but might be expected to come in to look after the vulnerable children and children of key workers. My Head emailed us all last night to say that the other schools in the academy chain that we're a part of are looking to pool staff, resources and physical space and provide one central hub for the kids who need to attend school. Makes sense. I'm gutted I can't actually be part of the staff rota that will support that, as I think the key workers need all the support we can give them, but I just feel I can't go against what my doctor has said, and I do have to look after my own health.

I understand your concerns about losing the job though. I'm feeling anxious cos my contract is only up to the end of August...!

Let us know how you get on - hope you get to be at home!
I’m in the same boat. My head is saying today if you’ve not been in hospital with it over the last twelve months it might be unpaid and I can’t afford to lose money so might be going back to school

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I work in a secondary with 1400 students. The deputy came to see staff on ‘that list’ on Wednesday and told us to go home. I’m the library manager and have been told to come up with book reviews, plans, FB posts and quizzes for the students from home. I’m thinking I’m in for 12 weeks, but I don’t think it’s clear at all. I’ve no symptoms but am being careful. I’m not visiting anyone or letting anyone in either ! It’s going to get a bit stressy in our house I know it I’ve been diabetic 44 years, epileptic and now coeliac. I’m not perfect but as I pointed out to my slightly anxious son, I’m not a bad specimen in the diabetic catalogue. I’d contact HR, occupational health or your union for info. Good luck with it all and I hope you get some answers soon x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What I have done this afternoon:
I emailed my Gp asking about being in the vulnerable group, diabetes, regarding COVID-19, so do I need to distance my self, I need clarification ?
I have two jobs, one has now stopped, with further updates. My other job involves working with Special Needs Children, most with HCP (Health Care Package) and I was told today that these schools will be staying open, unless told not to.
I emailed the County Council 2 days ago and I still haven't received a reply. Tomorrow, I will be phoning them.

I received an email back late this afternoon, it starts 'Thank you for your email....................'

'Unfortunately this is something the GP is unable to advise on'

Please visit 111.nhs.uk/covid-19 virus/ GOV.UK,
I give up

Max68

I think in some ways that's "almost" a good answer for employees. After all if a GP can't advise and no-one else is giving definite information it means we have to go by the Gov.UK website and that just says "diabetes", it doesn't specify. I guess no-one wants to stick their neck out but to be fair I suspect if a perfectly 100% healthy 21 year old asked their GP I suspect the GP in all reality couldn't definitely say 100%.

Thus you employer is hardly going to argue if a GP can't decide and you are going by Government advice. If an employer gets picky you can always suggest that they find clarification from a reliable source.

From what I can gather if the schools are closed down by the Government the school has to pay you full pay, because it isn't your fault you are off. I may be wrong of course. My school said everyone will get paid as normal but this was before we realised we were apparently staying open, although there hasn't been any finer details on that.

In am speaking to my Union and GP tomorrow so will post with any findings.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Judith's brother is T1 he is now working from home, his boss is very understanding and knows a lot about Diabetes which is one of the benefits of being the boss.

Though being an Ed psych he does have to answer to the council.

Yesterday he had to drive down to London to rescue his son who had been on assignment for the newspaper he works for and ended up stranded in London not the best place for someone with Cystic Fibrosis to be at this time.

Max68

Well spoke to Union, Work and the GP today and all were vey much down the road of "self isolate" and do not go into work. GP worried me actually because when all this started she was very much like "don't worry you are controlled type 2 blah blah", and yet today it's type 2, high blood pressure, high cholesterol (albeit all controlled with meds) and a smoker places me in the high risk category. She didn't really help matters when she said "well we will all end up with it anyway!!" So a positive GP to a fairly negative one in less than a month!!

At least I know the answer as to whether a controlled diabetic should now accept the Governments advice on that. For anyone who is unclear yep don't go to work and social distance.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Grandson was coming home from Uni at Lincoln today but has a sore throat today so has decided not to come but stay in his University accommodation for at least the next two weeks as he is very anxious about bringing home the virus knowing how risky it could be for me.

Edit to add all their lectures and teaching is now being done on line and the lecturers have all been sent home.