Importance of flu jab

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Received a letter from my practice today telling me I need to come for a flu jab or fill in a form to document that I turned it down. Helpfully, I can choose from three sessions, two of which occurred in the past. The third session doesn't suit as it's early next week and I'm starting back at work on the same day.

Can't search for the forums for flu jab, so wondering if it is of benefit to someone with T2. I'm in my early 40's, never been invited to any kind of age based checkup and not sure if this was prompted by recent diagnosis or the fact my BMI is higher than 40.

Reactions: Kevin259

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is recommended for diabetics and other "vulnerable" groups. You can also get it free a some pharmacies if the practice can't give you a suitable appointment.

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hadn't thought of that, is a pharmacy near here which may do that. Work has been very accommodating but seems I've had some need to visit the practice every week since diagnosis.

D

Deleted Account

Flu jabs are available because if you get flu your BG will rise and be difficult to control.
Since I discovered they are available from the pharmacist, I go there every year because it is much more convenient.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The real reasons for the letter from your GP, is that without proof you have had the jab or declined it, the GP gets his/her pay reduced. But you should have the flu jab due to having Type2, I got mine from a pharmacist so advoiding having to make apoirntment etc.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I'm sick to death of being hounded by this poxy. Flu jab, if it's not my Drs its people at work, I've never had it and I'm never going to have so stop keeping on about it!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm sick to death of being hounded by this poxy. Flu jab, if it's not my Drs its people at work, I've never had it and I'm never going to have so stop keeping on about it!
No. But you are at perfect liberty to not talk about it if you so wish.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The real reasons for the letter from your GP, is that without proof you have had the jab or declined it, the GP gets his/her pay reduced. But you should have the flu jab due to having Type2, I got mine from a pharmacist so advoiding having to make apoirntment etc.
GPs get paid for actually administering the jab, pharmacies get a bit more than GPs . I don't think a GP would get paid if you refused, as then you could go to a pharmacy and the NHS would have to pay twice.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I contacted my doctors surgery at 1300 on Monday to arrange a flu jab by 1430 on Monday it was done and I was home having a cup of coffee. No problem.

Reactions: Kingmob
D

Deleted member 308541

I contacted my doctors surgery at 1300 on Monday to arrange a flu jab by 1430 on Monday it was done and I was home having a cup of coffee. No problem.
Way to go mate...
4F2mf.gif

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
GPs get two differeent payments for flu jabs, the first based on how many they do, the 2nd based on the percentage of their list who should have the flu jab gets it. Hence the pharmacies update your records, and the GP still get the payment for hitting the percentage target whereever you get the jab done, they also get the "percentage target" payment if they can prove someone has declined to have the jab.

As my wife works for the NHS it is even more complex in her case, as her employer also has targets to hit on the percentage of staff getting the flu jab, so if she gets it at a GP or pharmacies, HR needs to know.....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I personally don't care how much the doctor receives, I have Diabetes, Myasthenia Gravis and Asthma all of which put me at risk and as I take steroids and imuran I have no functioning immune system to speak of so that pesky flu jab is not on my optional list.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Flu vaccinations are important when its the season of vaccinations. I always get vaccinated once a year. Doesn't last for longer than 1 year. Always have flu vaccinations

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I declined initially having known a few people who have been ill immediately afterwards. My GP, who I trust since she pointed me to low carb, asked me to think again. So when I went back for a blood test (kidney function) I had it done. No ill effects.