Improving blood control

steveo4

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try to improve my control. I've tried making adjustments on my hourly basal rate but just lately my control has got very bad. It's just after Xmas and hope things improve.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it depends on why the control has gone bad, is it due to stress, diet, lack of exercise, insulin issues etc? If you can give us some more information as to why it seems to be going out of control we can try to help. Is it going too high/too low etc?

D

Deleted Account

@steve04 I assume you have tried the usual:
- change your insulin
- check your pump is working (do a Prime when not attached)
- change your cannula site

I too went through a post-Christmas wobble with my BG higher than usual but once I was back to my normal regime (including exercise which went on the back burner whilst I was with the family, eating too much) and on a new vial of insulin, my BG came back down.

M

Member496333

Hi!

On the whole, most people are putting more glucose into their body over the festive period instead of less. Many people understandably think they can wing it from once mince pie to the next so long as their meter doesn’t blow up, unaware that they’re slowly restocking glucose and thus directly increasing any insulin resistance that they may already have, resulting in wayward control some days later. Seen it myself a million times and read about it in detail. I call it the elastic effect but it’s really the glucose overflow that Jason Fung promotes. Or rather that’s the hypothesis which I happen to agree with based on my own knowledge and experience.

Without knowing more about your condition, and management of it, it’s not sensible to offer advice on the most efficient way to get back to ‘normal’, particularly as you're an insulin user.

D

Deleted Account

@Jim Lahey with type 1, insulin resistance is less of an issue so restocking glucose is less likely to have an impact provided insulin is matched to the carbs eaten.

M

Member496333

@Jim Lahey with type 1, insulin resistance is less of an issue so restocking glucose is less likely to have an impact provided insulin is matched to the carbs eaten.

Yeah I get that. Can’t see any indication of the type, though? My comments really carry more weight with the assumption of T2 but I added the last bit in case he’s T1 :)

Reactions: porl69
D

Deleted Account

Yeah I get that. Can’t see any indication of the type, though? My comments really carry more weight with the assumption of T2 but I added the last bit in case he’s T1 :)
It was the Insulin Pump sub-forum this was posted in which gave it away for me :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @steveo4 Sounds like your on a pump ?

So check your sites and also check as you may be coming down with a bug or infection. I am suffering highs at the moment so instead of adjusting my basal rate I am doing bolus correction instead, if you need to check your bolus ratios then give your DSN a buzz and go through your results with them.

M

Member496333

Worth keeping in mind though that everyone has a sliding scale of insulin resistance, even non-diabetics. It’s the natural protection mechanism by which the body is able to stash away glucose by turning it into fat via de novo lipogenesis. Of course a T2 is waaaay more likely to experience further glucose overflow than a T1, but I’d wager there’s still quite a few of the latter who are experiencing it post-Christmas.

steveo4

I've done basal rate testing and bolus testing and believe it's my hourly basal rates that need adjusting. I'm going to do a tbr of 10% increase for 24 hours and see what happens.