in denial

bella

please help
I am 40 and have ben type 1 for 3 years. I was in control for the first 6 months but now , despite taking my 2 daily injections, I can't stop eating chocolate every day. My sugar levels are between 8 and 14, sometimes higher, but I can't make myself stop

Has anyone else been in the same position and sorted it?

Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
What's changed in your life that you feel the need to eat chocolate all the time,Bella?
My first reaction was'don't buy it then you can't eat it!'but life isn't that simple.Maybe you need to look at what is happening with you and address the cause.

Knowledge is the key to control

bella

Thanks for reply Sue.
I have been a chocoholic since my teens and use it as a comfort food.
I have just joined this forum tonight and have been reading through alot of the topics. I have learned more here than from my nurse, dietician or Balance magazines. I didn't know about changing my amounts of insulin - I have been injecting the same amount twice a day for 3 years.I am on Mixtard 30 - but Someone told me it was the cheapest insulin on the NHS
I feel really stupid about my inability to come to terms with diabetes and not handling it properly.
I have a degree from Glasgow Uni and am a teacher - so I shouldn't have any excuses!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Another Scot! we are truly taking over!:DIt's difficult to just push away a comfort food,but what is the trigger for it? Find that and maybe you can start to change it ,maybe eat something else less sugary(definitely not easy!!but this is a matter of your will-power and YOUR health!)
I'm not the best one to advise you on insulin but I know a few who will when they read your post.
Bella,diabetes is forever,ignoring it will not make it go away and defying it will not make it better.You need to learn all about it and take control.That way you win and maybe the comfort eating will change as well.

steveng

Bella,

I understand completely, my problem is crisps, can't resist them. It is a matter of willpower. You just need to figure out why you want chocolate and remove that issue, or find out a trigger to remind you when you are tempted that you do not need them.

Someone on the forums mentioned EFT - http://www.emofree.com, as an approach to dealing with the mental aspects of dealing with diabetes and other afflications.

I am giving it a try and have found some success.

I have had trouble with my weight for years and have always found that when i have managed to lose weight in the past my head has to be in the right place for it to suceed. If you truly do not believe in what you are trying to do it will not happen.

I am trying to get into "that place" to help me deal effectivly with diabetes.

Steve

sugar

Hi Bella,
Welcome! Completely sympathise with your chocolate thing. I was in denial for years, and it wasn't until I needed laser surgery on my eyes that I started taking things seriously! It is so easy to say that it will never happen to me, but alas, it probably will if you don't take better care of yourself.
Sorry this is a bit blunt...I usually like to take a more relaxed approach to things, and I really (X lots) regret not listening to teh advice I got earlier..and I am paying teh price now. I can still see, but I have to take really good care of myself now, to stop things getting worse. I am a stuborn case, and it eally did take a serious scare to sort me out. OK, I can't say that I never have chocolate...but I don't have it much.
On a practical note.....could you ask your Dr/nurse if you could switch to say Lantus and novorapid? This does mean more injections.....but if you need to eat the chocolate (and I do understand this!!) you can at least give yourself a quick injection of teh fast acting insulin to deal with it. Is this an ideal solution? No, we should celery, occasional slices of homemeal bread, and a digestive biscuit as a special treat ;) Very few people do exactly what they should though, and maybe changing your insulin regime would help cope with your real life? Obviously, this is not something that you should attempt on your own...and again, you have to start with regular, repeatative meals, and learn how you react to the insulin, and the food, but you should be able to reach a situation which is better situation.

Good luck...and let me know if my post is about as clear as mud! Hope you are not an English teacher...don't mark this for spellings!

Willemse

Hi Bella,

I was part of the chocoholic club until about a month ago when I stopped taking chocolats and I take fruit instead. So far so good, I leave the chocolats for my wife instead

Hank:)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

StephenFromScotland

Hi Bella,
I was a choconutter once too:):(
Hey it's not the end of the world though, I know the voices in your head is hard.
Even if you limit yourself to a little sugar free chocolate? I know its not the same but hey,it's something.
Anyway, this site is great and everyone is here to help and they do!!!
stephen

bella

Thanks for the advice and support guys.Will see my nurse re changing insulin and try to get my head sorted as well ! I am so glad I found this site - wish I had done earlier.

Will let you know how I'm getting on.
:)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Stephen,

Please remember that "sugar-free" chocolate is a myth. Yes, they don't use sugar (i.e. sucrose) but instead they use a sugar-alcohol substitute, like maltitol, xylitol or sorbitol. <b>EACH OF THESE HAS EXACTLY THE SAME EFFECT ON YOUR BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS AS PURE SUGAR.</b>

The use of the term sugar-free is a marketing ploy designed to make diabetics and dieters believe they are safe to eat. <b>THEY ARE NOT.</b>

jfairy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people who show no respect to people in wheel chairs
I find I crave chocolate round about my periods .What about trying cadburys highlight chocolate drink . It is hard not to have chocolate but try and stat positive . What about a low fat toffee yoghurt now and then ? think weight watchers do them . It is hard especially when your family is scoffing chocolate in front of you !:D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Jfairy, you family is being a bit cruel. Its like deliberately blowing cigarette smoke towards someone who is desperately trying to give up!

ash

My nurse said that there is nothing wrong with eating a small quantity like a square or two. Just don't do it every day and resist the temptation to finish the bar in one hit:D.

Its so much nicer if you have to wait for it/ration the quantity and take a stroll afterwards [:p]

HBa1C 6.3 T2

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Ash, sounds like you have a sensible nurse there. Ordinary chocolate in very small quantities will do less harm that the so-called diabetic ones. Apart from anything else people think that because they are for diabetics then they can eat as much as they want! If only!!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Why is it,I wonder, that every thread seems to contain references to chocolate at some time or another!:(:(:(:D

minoucha

Bella,

If you can get used to the taste of dark chocolate (70% cocoa) this is not only better for you because it contains less sugar, but you will also find that one or two squares are tasty enough to cut down the cravings!

cheers

sugar

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ash</i>
<br />
Its so much nicer if you have to wait for it/ration the quantity and take a stroll afterwards [:p]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

As oppose to having a whole bar of "diabetic" chocolate, which usually leads to a run, or a trot....if you know what I am saying!:twisted:

Pattidevans

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dennis</i>
<br />Ash, sounds like you have a sensible nurse there. Ordinary chocolate in very small quantities will do less harm that the so-called diabetic ones. Apart from anything else people think that because they are for diabetics then they can eat as much as they want! If only!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Dennis, you are so right. The diabetic chocs are full of other sugars and not only that, but laxative ones too! The odd square of 70% plus choc won't do any harm but as Ash said... limit it! It's a *treat* not an everyday nutritional food!

Patti
On Levemir/Novorapid. Last hba1c 5.3