In Hospital !!

Mrsdobson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was taken into hospital on Saturday with blood levels of 25 !!! I have a really bad bout of the flu. Since being here they have had me on a drip of insulin and just taken me off it my levels are still high at 14 but did go down once to 11. I am type 2 and have been fir about 9 years. I was doing really well and had managed to get off my weekly injection (not insulin) and got my levels down to 6 with metformin and low carb. I am really worried now as to why my levels are so high, which in itself is not doing me any good.

Hope you can help please...

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It's not surprising that the flu is messing you up. (One reason why I always have a flu jab.) Honestly I wouldn't worry at all. Just wait till you're over your illness. :)

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Your body is releasing extra sugar to help fight off the infection so try to relax about the levels at the moment. When you are feeling better ease yourself back into a low carb way of eating, the hospital may not be very helpful with this but when you get home you can start again. Be patient, flu is a nasty infection that may hang around for a while. You will soon be feeling more like your old self.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Get well well soon. You are in the best place to be monitored so try to get some rest while you're there.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was taken into hospital on Saturday with blood levels of 25 !!! I have a really bad bout of the flu. Since being here they have had me on a drip of insulin and just taken me off it my levels are still high at 14 but did go down once to 11. I am type 2 and have been fir about 9 years. I was doing really well and had managed to get off my weekly injection (not insulin) and got my levels down to 6 with metformin and low carb. I am really worried now as to why my levels are so high, which in itself is not doing me any good.

Hope you can help please...
Hi,
I have the flu too my levels are really high, I had the flu jab. It doesn't cover for all the strains. Hope you feel better really soon.
Take care

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is easy to forget the flu is not a trivial illness. Your body has to work very hard to fight it. As others have mentioned it can drag on a while, but I feel sure you will find things improving as you feel better. Try not to let it get you down, but some depression is a common after effect of flu.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no, get better soon! I try very hard not to get sick because my numbers are bad enough without any illness - I always get the flu shot, stay away from people who look sick in public, and hide out in my room if someone at home is sick.

I'm sure your numbers will improve once you've recovered. Being sick makes your numbers high, and right now you're probably stressed about it which is not good for blood sugars either. Once you're better, I'm sure your numbers will come back to normal and you won't have to make any changes to your treatment. To prevent this happening in the future, perhaps you should discuss sick day management with your doctor so you have some strategies to put in place before ending up in hospital.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope you feel better soon

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I was taken into hospital on Saturday with blood levels of 25

I hope you feel better soon. It will be no consolation to you but when I presented myself to an out of hours GP with a BG of 23 I was just told to go home and not worry too much, unless the level failed to come down.

The body is a marvelous thing and carbs aren't the only thing to drive BG levels, probably the major thing. As already mentioned illness and stress can both contribute towards high BG.