In normal range

Phill 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been on low carb since April, doctor has now told me I’m in the normal range for a none diabetic, great news, but then went on to say my cholesterol level was 5.5 so a little high, and very low on Iron, in fact I was anaemic, never been anaemic so worried now what it might mean, got to go back Friday for more tests, wondered if the low carb had made me anaemic?

Reactions: keefidee

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have never heard that LCHF causes an iron deficiency or even that caution is needed while on a LCHF lifestyle for anaemia. I think that iron deficiency can be caused by different things so I suggest waiting for the results of the tests and discussing them with your GP before coming to any conclusions.

As to your cholesterol, do you have the breakdown of your results? Your Total Cholesterol number is meaningless without the breakdown.

Reactions: Ponchu

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe anemia can affect the accuracy of HbA1c but I don't know in which direction. @Bluetit1802 probably knows.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe anemia can affect the accuracy of HbA1c but I don't know in which direction. @Bluetit1802 probably knows.

Different sorts of anaemia can send the HbA1c is different directions. Haemolytic anaemia can lead to reduced HbA1c levels because of reduced red cell survival. Iron deficiency anaemia can lead to an inappropriate rise in HbA1c but it will fall again after iron treatment.

Reactions: Mr_Pot and ziggy_w

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Endo told me that aneamia can also be a symptom of decreased kidney function so causes doctors a bit more concern when it shows up in diabetic patients due to the increased risk of kidney problems for people with diabetes. Whenever Ive shown up as aneamic, extra tests looking at kidney function have been ordered - they have always come back fine. Since Ive gone thru the menopause, I no longer come up as being anaemic

M

Member496333

Regarding high cholesterol, the only thing worth knowing is the LDL pattern-B, and triglycerides. Everything else is an excuse to sell statins.

In my opinion :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding high cholesterol, the only thing worth knowing is the LDL pattern-B, and triglycerides. Everything else is an excuse to sell statins.

In my opinion :)

Don't forget the HDL, otherwise I agree.

hal101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been on low carb since April, doctor has now told me I’m in the normal range for a none diabetic, great news, but then went on to say my cholesterol level was 5.5 so a little high, and very low on Iron, in fact I was anaemic, never been anaemic so worried now what it might mean, got to go back Friday for more tests, wondered if the low carb had made me anaemic?
my doctor told me metformin can cause anaemic

Phill 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies, got to go and have a camera up my —— so will let you know how I get on.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it's a colonoscopy, it's a hoot! The drugs made me feel drunk and silly, so I laughed and chattered all the way through. Watching the journey through your colon is also fascinating, there's a big tv screen right next to you so that you forget there's a doctor with a camera up your bum and just watch in awe.

Good luck x