1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

In normal range

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Phill 2, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Phill 2

Phill 2 Type 2 · Member

Been on low carb since April, doctor has now told me I’m in the normal range for a none diabetic, great news, but then went on to say my cholesterol level was 5.5 so a little high, and very low on Iron, in fact I was anaemic, never been anaemic so worried now what it might mean, got to go back Friday for more tests, wondered if the low carb had made me anaemic?

2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

I have never heard that LCHF causes an iron deficiency or even that caution is needed while on a LCHF lifestyle for anaemia. I think that iron deficiency can be caused by different things so I suggest waiting for the results of the tests and discussing them with your GP before coming to any conclusions.

As to your cholesterol, do you have the breakdown of your results? Your Total Cholesterol number is meaningless without the breakdown.

3. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I believe anemia can affect the accuracy of HbA1c but I don't know in which direction. @Bluetit1802 probably knows.

4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Different sorts of anaemia can send the HbA1c is different directions. Haemolytic anaemia can lead to reduced HbA1c levels because of reduced red cell survival. Iron deficiency anaemia can lead to an inappropriate rise in HbA1c but it will fall again after iron treatment.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

My Endo told me that aneamia can also be a symptom of decreased kidney function so causes doctors a bit more concern when it shows up in diabetic patients due to the increased risk of kidney problems for people with diabetes. Whenever Ive shown up as aneamic, extra tests looking at kidney function have been ordered - they have always come back fine. Since Ive gone thru the menopause, I no longer come up as being anaemic

6. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Regarding high cholesterol, the only thing worth knowing is the LDL pattern-B, and triglycerides. Everything else is an excuse to sell statins.

In my opinion :)

7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Don't forget the HDL, otherwise I agree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. hal101

hal101 Type 2 · Newbie

my doctor told me metformin can cause anaemic

9. Phill 2

Phill 2 Type 2 · Member

Thanks for the replies, got to go and have a camera up my —— so will let you know how I get on.

10. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not for suspected anaemia I hope!!!!!:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The ultimate selfie!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jpscloud

jpscloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If it's a colonoscopy, it's a hoot! The drugs made me feel drunk and silly, so I laughed and chattered all the way through. Watching the journey through your colon is also fascinating, there's a big tv screen right next to you so that you forget there's a doctor with a camera up your bum and just watch in awe.

Good luck x

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook