In remission and driving

NickyPreston

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was a T2 using insulin. Recently I have been confirmed as being in remission as the tests for the past 2,3 years have all been normal. Does this mean that when driving I am no longer required to test or do I still count as diabetic for the purposes of DVLA?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Presumably if you are in remission you are no longer using any medication?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Does this mean that when driving I am no longer required to test or do I still count as diabetic for the purposes of DVLA?
Logically, if you're not using insulin or any other blood sugar lowering meds (gliclazide etc?) it shouldn't be an issue. Not sure how they'll cope next time you renew your license and tell them you're no longer on insulin (they probably don't think that's possible). Of course, who expects governement departments to act logically? Having said that, in your position, I would strongly appeal if anyone tried to give me flak for not testing when I wasn't on insulin.

Good luck, and congrats on getting off insulin.

Reactions: HSSS

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I think the point is if you are still using insulin or a drug that can cause hypos such as Gliclazide, then the DVLA are still very much interested. It isn't whether you have diabetes or not that matters, it is which medications you take.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was a T2 using insulin. Recently I have been confirmed as being in remission as the tests for the past 2,3 years have all been normal. Does this mean that when driving I am no longer required to test or do I still count as diabetic for the purposes of DVLA?

Congratulations on the remission!
As already asked above, are you still on insulin or any other drugs capable of causing hypoglycaemia?
Do you currently have a restricted license?
I think if it were me, I'd contact DVLA and ask about getting an unrestricted license back as it would clearly remove the requirement to test.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does this mean that when driving I am no longer required to test or do I still count as diabetic for the purposes of DVLA?

You should inform the DVLA if you have T2D and it is now treated by diet alone, so that they can update their records.

If you don't you will still show as being treated by Insulin, and therefore be subject to the rules surrounding it's use, and you will also have to renew your driving entitlement frequently.

You can ring the DVLA Medical team on 0300 790 6806