In Remission (Type 2 )

Danny Hyslop

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would like to thank all administrators, members, and forum contributors for the fantastic and invaluable help over the past year or so ( diagnosed T2 April 2023 ) .

I am a 62 year old gent who has gone from 19 stone down to 13stome 10. Yesterday, I got my newest and fourth HBA1C result, which was within the safe parameters at 35. I am now to reduce my medication to 1 Metformin a day . I will receive another HBA1C in three months' time . If this is still within the safe zone, I will cease my metformin and be classed as in full remission.

I believe the info and encouragement ( by most ) on here and other sites was instrumental in my recovery and remission. Picking out the information most suitable for me was a challenge.

If I was asked to give insight into my regime, it would be :-
stick to 1500-1800 calories a day.
Get the NHS GI index for slow release carbs.
Don't over complicate recipes.
Take blood sugar levels at regular intervals.
Record blood pressure regularly.
Drink plenty of fluids, including fluids that actively aid the reduction of blood sugar and blood pressure.

The above worked for me immensely. I went from a count of 84 to 34 in three months and lost that weight in 6 months. I'm not pushing this out as a fix for everyone, just giving my own experiences.

Again , thanks to all for the encouraging assistance. And if I can help, just ask :)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations @Danny Hyslop on lowering your HbA1c results and losing weight. From an HbA1c reading of 84 down to 34 mmol/mol is some accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing. Your success will encourage other type 2 diabetics to adopt a low-carb healthy fat lifestyle.

flonvic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would like to thank all administrators, members, and forum contributors for the fantastic and invaluable help over the past year or so ( diagnosed T2 April 2023 ) .

I am a 62 year old gent who has gone from 19 stone down to 13stome 10. Yesterday, I got my newest and fourth HBA1C result, which was within the safe parameters at 35. I am now to reduce my medication to 1 Metformin a day . I will receive another HBA1C in three months' time . If this is still within the safe zone, I will cease my metformin and be classed as in full remission.

I believe the info and encouragement ( by most ) on here and other sites was instrumental in my recovery and remission. Picking out the information most suitable for me was a challenge.

If I was asked to give insight into my regime, it would be :-
stick to 1500-1800 calories a day.
Get the NHS GI index for slow release carbs.
Don't over complicate recipes.
Take blood sugar levels at regular intervals.
Record blood pressure regularly.
Drink plenty of fluids, including fluids that actively aid the reduction of blood sugar and blood pressure.

The above worked for me immensely. I went from a count of 84 to 34 in three months and lost that weight in 6 months. I'm not pushing this out as a fix for everyone, just giving my own experiences.

Again , thanks to all for the encouraging assistance. And if I can help, just ask :)
Stupid question.are slow release carb and low carb the same thing?

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low Glycemic Index - GI foods release glucose slowly, which is good for type 2 diabetics. See https://diabetesmyway.nhs.uk/resources/internal/the-glycaemic-index/

Low carb diets tend to avoid carbs as much as possible and eat more fat and protein instead. You may find that some low GI foods such as porridge oats spike your blood sugar. You need to test for yourself which foods your system can tolerate. Fibre in food tends to lower the GI.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another thing to note is the order in which you eat your food. If you eat vegetables first, protein second and carbs last you can reduce the spike in your blood sugar. See …

Reactions: flonvic

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stupid question. are slow release carb and low carb the same thing?
Morning @flonvic.

No question is stupid. How else do we learn? Strictly speaking, the short answer is no.

Refined carbs and starchy foods like bread or potatoes are digested quickly and, in terms of blood glucose levels and insulin response, behave like sugar,

Slow release carbs, also called low Glycaemic Index [low-GI] foods, are complex carbs like chick peas and lentils that are digested more slowly, These foods are said to maintain moderate blood glucose and insulin levels; at least that's the theory.

As you know, diabetes is a very individual disorder and we're all different. In practice, low GI foods appear to have no measurable benefit for me; some foods that are classed as low GI affect me quickly, while foods that should behave the same work at different rates. Your experience may be different. The best way to be sure is to keep a food diary and check your numbers before and after meals.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations @Danny Hyslop. This is impressive.

As I am sure you realise, lowering our HbA1c and body weight is great, but just the beginning,
We are in this for the long run. So you might want to ask yourself, is your current diet sustainable?
If so, stick with it.

Reactions: flonvic