Increase in hypos

Larkin1

I have suddenly had an increase in Hypnos, also my symptoms of hypo have decreased. I was travelling with family recently and had a hypo in a petrol station which caused me to collapse! The last time I had this experience was as a young child? Also my insulin intake has massively reduced but I am still having recurring hypos? Any ideas?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You need to talk with your diabetes team asap and ask for advice on reducing your insulin and restoring your hypo awareness, if you are the driver in your family then I'd refrain from driving until such times that things improve.

Larkin1

My doctor has referred me to the diabetes team and I have had no response for 2 weeks? I am not having severe hypos now but have low readings every evening no matter how much I eat?

slimtony

Hi Larkin1,

The first thing that comes to mind is Addison's disease. But hopefully it's not that.

A more common reason for increasing lows is weight loss. Your body will tend to need less insulin as your weight drops, and slimness also comes with the increased risk of hitting muscle when you inject - causing faster absorption. This might also be the case if you've not lost weight but have recently changed your injection sites.

The only other thing I have experience of causing your problem is Hypothyroidism. In some people (or perhaps just me :x ) a low level of thyroxine can affect the action of some insulins - In my case it sped it up.

Good luck.

glenmoray

The first thing I should say to you is don't drive until your hypo awarness has been corrected. The police will charge you for driving under the influence of drugs and then the DVLA with cancel your driving licence. I have just attended the DAFNE course held once a month in most parts of the country. I too lost my hypo awareness.I attended in november this year in Birmingham.On the first day of the course I found my doctors surgery had overdosed my insulin doses by 90 units of the fast acting and underdosed by baseline insulin by 10 units.since the course I have not had any Hypos and when my sugar levels fall below 5 I now have my early signs coming back. I hope this has helped you. Ian

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had bouts of loosing my hypo awareness. To get it back I've kept my levels high for a week or two. To address the hypos you are probably having too much insulin. My insulin ratios change all the time, so don't be afraid to inject a little less. The only way to find out is to test before and after each meal for your short acting insulin and before bed and upon waking for your long acting.

Its law now for diabetics to test before driving, if you do that you should probably be ok. Always keep lucozade in the car.