Informing the DVLA

Puum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do I need to inform the DVLA of a medical condition if my doctor says I am perfectly ok to drive? The DVLA guidance isn’t clear if I need to inform them or not.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends on what diabetic medication you are taking as to whether they need to be informed, if you are taking insulin or other medications that actually lower your blood glucose level you need to tell them (and fill in a hefty form) - metformin does not do that so is fine.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do I need to inform the DVLA of a medical condition if my doctor says I am perfectly ok to drive? The DVLA guidance isn’t clear if I need to inform them or not.

Hi, we can guess that you mean diabetes? Either way, there are certain medical conditions whereby you do have to tell them and others where it all depends (eg, the type of medication you may be on). You'd be better off going onto the govt official website, that should tell you. It's important because if you fail to do it (regardless of what the Dr says about you being safe) you will effectively be driving without a licence (or insurance). Drs are NOT the law and can only provide information/opinion on your driving should it be required by DVLA or when they think a person is driving whilst not safe, etc. x

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi @Puum and welcom to the Forum. Just to add to the wise advice above, I would suggest that if you end up having to fill in a hefty form, I would reccommend taking photocopies of everything and keeping details of clinic appointments etc. Over many years, even now, I have found this invaluable. It also makes it easier when filling in the form again in one or three years time. Good luck!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
There is a section on the dvla website that advises you what you need to tell them about for each class if license

If it says you have to inform them.. then you must irrespective of what your doctor says