1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Sheffield University are conducting a study on food and activity logging among people with type 2 diabetes. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Infusion set problems

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by puppychomp, Feb 14, 2018.

1. puppychomp

puppychomp Type 1 · Newbie

Im new here so hopefully this is in the right place.

I use a medtronic 630g and i did a set change a few days ago, except i didnt actually do a set change and i just plugged the new tubing into my old infusion set sticker thing because i hate the inserter. So ive had it in for 6 days instead of 3. I know i shouldnt have done that but i did and i wont do it again

Everything was fine until i took it off a few minutes ago and the hole where the cannula was started to form a drop of pus. I wiped it off and nothing else happened. No more pus and no blood or anything. I put a bandaid on it but now im worried.

Has that ever happened to anyone else before? Is it infected? It doesnt hurt. Should i put cream or something on it? It didnt look more red than usual but the pus surprised me i guess

2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You need to put a hot compress on it a few times a day to draw out any muck ad keep an eye on things if it starts to get very red or more pus appears then see your GP.

As you don't like your inserter the easiest thing to do is change to a cannula that doesn't need an inserter problem solved :)

3. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Take care and keep and eye on it as suggested.

I change every 2 days rather than 3, not only because of infection risk but also the amount of insulin going into a single place.

4. johnpol

johnpol Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on it, but instead of using the inserter, have you tried just inserting the cannula by hand? I found the inserter horrible and now just push the cannula in by hand and find it a lot easier. My wife still finds it a bit squeamish !!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook