Ingredients purchased......

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, here comes a low carb carrot cake and a low cab chocolate cake, been shopping this morning and got all my goodys, will post pics when done.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I eat a chocolate cake made from Almond flour almost daily now. Easy to make and minimal impact on BS.
I found it here under black forest gateau:- , i don't bother with the cherries and it takes around 10 mins in the microwave

Enjoy

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, here it is, worked out 5.1g carbs per slice and less than 0.2g sugars, so pretty much sugar free :D

Eva9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks good. Hope you appreciate we are all drooling and would love a piece too. Do we get the recipie?

Sever

stupid question but im new to this would it taste like normal cake if you get what i mean :oops: ( i know it wont be exactly like normal cake anyway) because my hubby teases me an says all sugar free things will be disgusting ,it looks delicious though i shall have to start collecting recipes too if you let us have that recipe

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sever said:
stupid question but im new to this would it taste like normal cake if you get what i mean :oops: ( i know it wont be exactly like normal cake anyway) because my hubby teases me an says all sugar free things will be disgusting ,it looks delicious though i shall have to start collecting recipes too if you let us have that recipe

it pretty much tastes the same as "normal cake", my wife prefers it to a "real carrot cake"

I will post my receipe here in a mo, it the same as the LC carrot cake on here already, with just a few changes not much really.

WhitbyJet

WOW, I just could do with a slice of this!! Well done you, please post your recipe in the low carb recipe thread, I am sure other people will want to have a go at this.

Who says we cant have our cake and eat it?! :) :)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Cblake843 said:
I eat a chocolate cake made from Almond flour almost daily now. Easy to make and minimal impact on BS.
I found it here under black forest gateau:- , i don't bother with the cherries and it takes around 10 mins in the microwave

Enjoy

Ooooooooh I loooooooooooove you for this!!!! Mwah! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I want to make that sponge cake in the microwave :twisted: so can someone tell me if ground almonds is the same thing as almond flour please?

Defren

GraceK said:
I want to make that sponge cake in the microwave :twisted: so can someone tell me if ground almonds is the same thing as almond flour please?

Are you after making MIM's (muffin in a minute)? Here are some recipes.

Coconut Flour Muffin in a Minute:

1 Tablespoon Coconut Flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon sweetener (I use Sucanat, it tastes like brown sugar/molasses)

1 teaspoon softened butter, or coconut oil

1 egg

Stir dry ingredients to fluff and declump, then add butter and egg and stir until blended smoothly. Coconut flour is VERY absorbant. It will really expand!!! You may want to wait half a minute and stir once more to make sure the liquid ingredients have had time to be fully absorbed by the flour. Place mug in microwave and heat for 1 minute. If you add any other ingredients such as berries or bits of banana allow an extra 10-20 seconds.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread48648.html

This is similar to my recipe, which for the life of me I can't find.

1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)
1 packet splenda packet (0.9 net carbs)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
1 teaspoon butter

(total carbs is 12.07, fiber is 8.8; net carbs is 3.27)

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.

Almond flour is simply ground almonds, you can make your own, just be careful or you will end up with almond butter, whiz the almonds in a coffee grinder or similar, but do keep a close watch.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Defren said:
GraceK said:

Almond flour is simply ground almonds, you can make your own, just be careful or you will end up with almond butter, whiz the almonds in a coffee grinder or similar, but do keep a close watch.

Those recipes sound delicious Defren and they've gone straight into my desktop folder :D

Now then ... where can I buy this coconut flour and the almond flour. Do any supermarkets stock it or somewhere like Holland and Barrett? Or is it best to get it from Amazon? :)

Defren

GraceK said:
Those recipes sound delicious Defren and they've gone straight into my desktop folder :D

Now then ... where can I buy this coconut flour and the almond flour. Do any supermarkets stock it or somewhere like Holland and Barrett? Or is it best to get it from Amazon? :)

If I am rushed or being a lazy moo and need almond flour I get mine in Sainsbury's while I am shopping. It is £1.99 for 200g. If I have more time, I will go across to Aldi where it is 99p for 200g. All major supermarkets will carry it. I also keep a stock of almonds just in case. I can't remember where I bought those, probably Sainsbury's. I keep a supply just incase I want to bake something and am short of almond flour, but I do keep a really good supply as I do bake a lot. Coconut flour you can get on ebay or Amazon. I use Tiana but I can't remember how much I paid. I use less coconut flour than almond, so don't tend to keep a big stock, usually just the bag I have open and a spare. I also have peanut flour, but use that even less than coconut flour. :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Defren said:
GraceK said:

If I am rushed or being a lazy moo and need almond flour I get mine in Sainsbury's while I am shopping. It is £1.99 for 200g. If I have more time, I will go across to Aldi where it is 99p for 200g. All major supermarkets will carry it. I also keep a stock of almonds just in case. I can't remember where I bought those, probably Sainsbury's. I keep a supply just incase I want to bake something and am short of almond flour, but I do keep a really good supply as I do bake a lot. Coconut flour you can get on ebay or Amazon. I use Tiana but I can't remember how much I paid. I use less coconut flour than almond, so don't tend to keep a big stock, usually just the bag I have open and a spare. I also have peanut flour, but use that even less than coconut flour. :lol:

Thanks for that Defren ... I'll check my local ALDI out first and if no joy will head for Sainsbury. :thumbup:

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I picked up a 3 KG bag of almond flour from our local health shop (not H n B)

Defren

GraceK said:
Thanks for that Defren ... I'll check my local ALDI out first and if no joy will head for Sainsbury. :thumbup:

One little tip for Aldi that was shared with me, I am happy to pass along. I had never shopped in either Lidl or Aldi, my family are label snobs [sigh] so I just didn't go, however someone told me about the selection of meat that they do, so while buying my almond flour I had a look. The selection is amazing, and the price unreal. Bratwurst sausages, to all kinds of more unusual meats, even smoked salmon, and the prices are great. Check it out and see what you think.

My kitchen scales are playing up and without them I can't eat (I weigh everything to make sure I know my carbs and calories). I plan to pop into town tomorrow to get a new pair and will likely stock up on things from Aldi. Even the family and especially my notoriously picky youngest love the meats from there now.

Defren

BioHaZarD said:
I picked up a 3 KG bag of almond flour from our local health shop (not H n B)

We have a fantastic little independent health food shop, I am often in there having a wee look and have found all kinds of gems there. I think the independent HFS are often better than say H&B. The only advantage about shopping in H&B is I have a loyalty card, so can get money off things by redeeming points.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Defren said:
GraceK said:

One little tip for Aldi that was shared with me, I am happy to pass along. I had never shopped in either Lidl or Aldi, my family are label snobs [sigh] so I just didn't go, however someone told me about the selection of meat that they do, so while buying my almond flour I had a look. The selection is amazing, and the price unreal. Bratwurst sausages, to all kinds of more unusual meats, even smoked salmon, and the prices are great. Check it out and see what you think.

My kitchen scales are playing up and without them I can't eat (I weigh everything to make sure I know my carbs and calories). I plan to pop into town tomorrow to get a new pair and will likely stock up on things from Aldi. Even the family and especially my notoriously picky youngest love the meats from there now.

I love ALDI and LIDL but unfortunately I don't live very near to one. Their food is very good quality, often european import so it can be a little out of the ordinary but yes, I agree the selection and prices are brilliant. They also both have great hardware deals, the ones I shopped at previously had everything from a TV to a Halogen oven to garden furniture on sale - all excellent quality and value too, nothing shoddy or cheap.

People amaze me when they equate low price with cheap rubbish and won't even go in to take a look. My only gripe about ALDI is the checkout - they don't help with packing food, there's deliberately no space for you to bag your shopping so you have to put it straight into the empty trolley and bag it later, and the beepers on their cash registers are horrendously loud. I've had to stand well back at times because I couldn't stand the noise.

Defren

GraceK said:
I love ALDI and LIDL but unfortunately I don't live very near to one. Their food is very good quality, often european import so it can be a little out of the ordinary but yes, I agree the selection and prices are brilliant. They also both have great hardware deals, the ones I shopped at previously had everything from a TV to a Halogen oven to garden furniture on sale - all excellent quality and value too, nothing shoddy or cheap.

People amaze me when they equate low price with cheap rubbish and won't even go in to take a look. My only gripe about ALDI is the checkout - they don't help with packing food, there's deliberately no space for you to bag your shopping so you have to put it straight into the empty trolley and bag it later, and the beepers on their cash registers are horrendously loud. I've had to stand well back at times because I couldn't stand the noise.

We do have one in town, but it's at the other end to where I shop, hence the now and again visits. I so know what you mean about packing and the loud scanner, not fun!