Injecting in public

heypapatooni

Debloubed said:
that is so true about pens vs syringes, I never injected in public with a syringe, all the air bubbles and bottles etc, made it all look very complicated (even though it wasn't!) and drew far too much attention than I wanted as a teenager! Pens are ideal for discretion and also, convenient as you can pop the needle on before you leave the house to make it even quicker :D
I just wanted to winge that on my novorapid pens,if you put the needle on first, you have to remove the outer protective cover, or the pen lid does not fit! Therefore, you go to get out your pen, and find that the lid has come off ot and the needle and it's inner cover are bent and useless! GGRRR! The lids either need to screw on /fit tighter/ or the pens be redesigned so that the whole needle within it's protective cover fits under the pen lid!
I also find blood testing kits annoying! there is nowhere to put your used lancets and test strips! Mine seems to get covered in blood! :!:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
can you get disposable pens? I use disposable and the little purple lid needle cover stays on with the lid on? definitely worth getting if you can :) I'm with you on the testing kits though, although the little bag I use to carry it all has a red lining now, ha ha! I too was fed up with seeing blood smeared all over the place in my bag when out and about :D

heypapatooni

Mine ARE disposable ones, haven't got purple lids though, maybe the needles I get (they are clear/white) are wrong for the novorapid disposable pens!

tonyrees68

don't be ashamed or embarrassed this stuff keeps you alive and its an essential part of your life. Everyday I see people smoking and drinking in public without shame this is not essential but they carry on regardless. I've been in restaurants and seen people take tablets with their food and haven't been upset with their medication regime
I am being honest, when i was first injecting myself in public i was very uneasy i did have a few comments years ago but not now , as most people dont really care whats going on outside their world
take it easy enjoy what you do and dont let it get you down its not that hard if you think about it
Tony

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I actually think it would be good if people did notice us injecting, and (politely) asked what we were doing and why. Might help the general public realise how many slim, healthy-looking diabetics there are around them and that "diabetic" does not mean "fat and unhealthy".

No-one has ever said anything to me, even if they noticed. Once someone came and asked me for directions while I was injecting at a bus stop and didn't even notice!

hismom

hi,
my advise would be to just go for it. My son does bg testing at the table and injecting. He has only had 1 negative experience with a girl that was squemish but other than that he has found that people take a genuine interest in what he is doing and ask him lots of questions. You are not doing anything wrong or illegal.

steph