Type 1 Injecting in to tattooed skin

Rusne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, weird question here:
Basically I am getting really frustrated with constant blue marks from pen injections. Its on my legs, stomach, hands, buttox. Thinking of tattoing my skin instead ‍♀️ Are there any tattooed T1s who inject into tattoed skin? Is it ok?
Thanks!

Reactions: kitedoc

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Rusne .
Quite often inject in tattooed areas on upper arms with no adverse reactions.
Regarding you constant blue marks from injections. What size needles are you using? Do you change needles regularly?

Rusne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Rusne .
Quite often inject in tattooed areas on upper arms with no adverse reactions.
Regarding you constant blue marks from injections. What size needles are you using? Do you change needles regularly?
Yes, 4mm, I am quite thin. Change needles every 3-4 injections. I think its my skin, I get blue marks all the time from things like bumping into corner of bed etc.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, 4mm, I am quite thin. Change needles every 3-4 injections. I think its my skin, I get blue marks all the time from things like bumping into corner of bed etc.

Hello there, that is your problem, changing needles every 3-4 times, your supposed to dispose of them after one use of using them, obviously I know some people have to buy their needles and may not be able to do it that way so apologies if that is the case.

youre using a blunt needle, after 3 or 4 times, theres no sharpness left

2328527271_5e2fd3f25e2432.jpg

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m no expert but your ability to bruise easily could be down to a few different reasons.
Certain medication and some vitamin deficiencies can be to blame.
Maybe mention it at your next check up.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks will try that

If you are really thin with little body fat its also recommended injecting while gently pinching your skin, and gently inject at a 90 degree angle, bin needle and use a new one each time if possible

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What's the provenance of that photo re blunted needles?

Was it, for example, taken in the 1960s when, presumably, needle technology wasn't as advanced?

Was it deliberately dunted against something by a needle manufacturer who wanted to sell more needles?

Admittedly, I've never had a look at mines through a microscope, but a close glance at them don't suggest anywhere near the damage the pic is showing.

I regularly use the same needle for a whole pen, and I'm not noticing any ill effects from it.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's the provenance of that photo re blunted needles?

Was it, for example, taken in the 1960s when, presumably, needle technology wasn't as advanced?

Was it deliberately dunted against something by a needle manufacturer who wanted to sell more needles?

Admittedly, I've never had a look at mines through a microscope, but a close glance at them don't suggest anywhere near the damage the pic is showing.

I regularly use the same needle for a whole pen, and I'm not noticing any ill effects from it.

Not sure about the scientifics behind that image except it is from BD microfine website, however, I believe using a bit of metal 0.23mm wide more than 3 times stuck into skin membrane will definitely blunt it. If you want a more reliable source on the effects of reusing needles, you can read them here, courtesy of the Diabetes.co.uk team

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/reusing-insulin-pen-needles.html

Ive personally noticed pain and bruising reusing my needles

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have some black & shade ink on my upper thigh.. I've never jacked into it.

Needles, you know when the blunting happens, the skin resists them like a cow on a trampoline. Which can cause the odd bruise that soon dissipates..
Using some pretty large needles during my time when they loose the edge, the skin is the first to complain.

Pinching up does help. Back "in the day," it was how I was taught with the glass syringes.. (Which was the tech in the 50/60s still being used in the 70s.)

A smaller shaft these days with a finer point on the modern pen needles, probably makes em more susceptible to damage from the intended use. Injecting.
The early "telegraph poles" were certainly intended for multiple use with the same patient..

Below is meant to be the 4mm microfine jobbies.

image.jpeg

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
Still can't get my head around the reusing of needles. Makes me shudder every time I think about it.