Injecting & testing in public

Jenn1f3r

Re: Injecting & testing in public

I tend not to make a fuss and just get on wih injecting because at the end of the day if someone has a problem with your medical condition, it is after all their problem... where i work is really good as people always are inquisitive as to if my sugars are 'good or bad' (giving more motivation to do better) and if there is a baking day they always joke that they could do with insulin too! i have no problem with checking my sugars or doing insulin even in a pub or supermarket - after all its your health on the line!

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It is amazing how little people notice about other people. Once you are injecting and testing in public you'll be surprised at just how many are far too interested in themselves to notice what you're doing. Also, when you're ready to talk about it it's a good way of letting people get to know you.

I would advise that you tell your line manager and the nearest first aider about it though, just in case you need help at any time.

All the best :)

steffi1210

HI!

I´ve heared from a few People that they inject trough clothing but I´m a bit scared of that because you can´t see your Skin. I don´t know if it´s unhealthy or something. But I think there are a lot of different theories, and I guess if you´re changing the needle everytime, there must not be a Problem, but thats something a doctor could answer better than me.

At the Moment I´m stuying, so I´m not used to working in an Office, all I can tell you is that People don´t even see it, all of my friends know about my Diabetes. If we´re out eating or something and I´m meassurign my sugarlevels and inject Insulin, they are stuned if I ask them after if they´ve seen me do any of the things.
I just do it I don´t hide anything, thats for me the best method, acting normal. Most People don´t mind, some maybe but hey they could look away. I think the best Thing is to act normal, don´t make something big of it. In my Point of view peopleare more interested than disgusted or so. One of my best friends hates needles, she can´t stand looking at me while injecting and even though we are best friends.

Greats Steffi

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos

Hi BlueQ,

I test in public and have injected in public (before the pump) and if I get stupid comments from people I make them feel even worse by telling them 'it keeps me alive' In the 30 years of me being diabetic I have had very few negative reactions to blood tests and injections/pump use and I have found most people are just curious, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Bingaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hi

You are not being paranoid at all. I work part time at the local airport and I test at my desk but turn around to inject in my tummy. Normally whenever I get my kit out it starts a conversation on if its sore, what you can eat, etc which is fine with me. I have a 2 year old daughter and we meet friends out for lunch a couple of times a week. I test at my table in the cafe but as there are usually other older children about I inject in the toilets. This is purely to avoid any awkward questions from other kids. I too was told never to inject through my clothes but I have very small needles. My brother who is also type 1 injects in his upper arm but I was told only to do thigh bum or tum. Suppose thats the difference in 15 years between diagnosis. As I am required to work airside at work I test reguraly and make sure I hae a bag full of fruit,

Good luck in your new job

Chaz1311

Hi BlueQ!

My moto is: if you're bothered by it, other people are more likely to notice. I also had a conversation with two of our Editors (I work in academic publishing) whilst injecting. They didn't even notice. If anyone's afraid of needles etc that's their issue. I will admit though that it can become a slight issue if you're at a lunch meeting with strangers - in this case, I would go elsewhere to inject.

Injecting on the bus on the way to work has prompted some odd looks mind, but I just brush then aside!

Just remember that the reason you inject is to keep you alive and well. If you didn't inject, you might not be able to do your job :)

Best of luck x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lucyturner

I was also told never to inject through clothing. I was nervous at first about injecting in public and like you I didn't really want to use the toilets. At first I had it agreed to have access to the first aid room and did it in there. As my colleagues started to find out I was diabetic they started asking me about it, once I briefly explained it they were all fine and now if I need to inject our check my bg I just do it at my desk and no-one even bats an eyelid, one thing I made sure though was the person who sits nearest me knows what to do of anything happens, she knows where I keep my diabetes kit at work and how to check my bg and also how to inject insulin, just in case.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app