Injection site preparation??

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
To swab or not to swab.

I was wondering how many who inject themselves carefully clean the injection site every time before they inject.

I was instructed to swab the injection site and the rubber bung on the injection pen every time with surgical spirit before adding the needle to the pen and injecting . . . do others observe this procedure or do they just stab away oblivious to what they might be adding to their body?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hobs,

When I was first diagnosed nearly 30 years ago, the advice then was to clean the skin with surgical spirit, but over time this advice has changed. I was told not to worry about cleansing the skin prior to injection if you are someone who takes a shower and bath daily. Should the skin be exposed, for example wearing shorts/tee-shirts, then it may well be advisable to swab before injecting, other than that I wouldn't bother, but it is entirely up to yourself.

You can buy those little swabs they use in clinics from most chemist shops, I am sure they ain't to expensive, and quite convenient to carry when you are out and about.

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I frequently inject in the open, bars, etc.......I just do it. No swabs, no wiping the pen with anything. My pen is kept in a pouch with the end covered and the needle is in a sealed container, sterile.

Never had a problem. I suppose it might be what we are told we should do. I never was just to make sure the site was clean, not surgically clean. I can't really be bothered with carrying round all that extra stuff. Do what you feel comfortable with I say. :)

Ken

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We've never cleaned the injection site or the top of the pen before injecting. We were never advised to do so and it's never occurred to me to do it.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On MDI, even in hospital they didn't swab the area.
This is the most recent 'evidenced' based answer I could find.

It is not mandatory to clean the injection site with alcohol. Although it has been found that 5 seconds' cleaning reduces bacteria, no infections developed when injections were given without alcohol cleansing. Infections are more likely to be associated with contaminated syringes, needles or insulin solution.
source has references

http://www.ebn.at/cms/beitrag/10057010/1566252/

However, with a pump I get prescribed (and use) little single use vials of cholorhexidine and gauze squares for cleaning my site before inserting my pump cannula and on my pump course was told to swab the top of the insulin vial before filling my reservoir. (and had a lesson on hand washing technique).

edited for typos

jopar

Research showed no increase between those who swab and those who didn't... It did actually show though those that swabbed were more likely to get skin problems due to the drying effect of the alcohol on the skin when injecting over a long period of time..

When I became a diabetic yes I did swabb but haven't for at least 10 years, durning that time I've never had an infection due to injecting...

What got to be remembered, now a days needles are ultra fine indeed compared to the old needles which were used time and time again, the old fashioned needle were sharpened on a regular bases to extend their use :shock: And add to that we are actually a lot cleaner today then we were, most people bath/shower at least once a day then change their cloths every day or so

But as with saying if you are happier swabbing before injecting then there's nothing wrong with that at all..

badmedisin

I was always told not to swab as the alcohol is bad fir your skin. As long as your hands and your needle are clean you'll be fine. I've never had any kind of problem with my injection sites.

The advice that made me laugh was when they said to rotate injection sites to avoid getting lumps 'because it won't be very nice for your boyfriend when you get into bed with him'. I was 8 when they told me that!