Type 1 Injection

Nadia19

I have a question. Tonight I injected 8units of insulin at 6pm, ratio is normally 1:8g of carbs and I use 0.4mm needles. However , pre meal my reading was 10.3 , 45 minutes later is 7? If my sugar was at 6 before meal, would this mean it would dip to 3? Also when it dips it doesn’t move from that figure for around another 45 minutes. Please can someone tell me the answer I’m a bit confused as it’s worrying me when I have my dinner why it dips as low as fast. I ate 80g of carbs too.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have a question. Tonight I injected 8units of insulin at 6pm, ratio is normally 1:8g of carbs and I use 0.4mm needles. However , pre meal my reading was 10.3 , 45 minutes later is 7? If my sugar was at 6 before meal, would this mean it would dip to 3? Also when it dips it doesn’t move from that figure for around another 45 minutes. Please can someone tell me the answer I’m a bit confused as it’s worrying me when I have my dinner why it dips as low as fast. I ate 80g of carbs too.
Are you including a correction dose in your calculations? I am guessing not.

Some suggestions based on my experience (though not no 2 as I don't even remember if I had a honeymoon period)
1) insulin ratios can vary by time of day and also other factors (weight, insulin, illness etc etc). It may be that you haven't got quite the right ratio in the evening
2) Are you relatively recently diagnosed? The honeymoon period can mean your pancreas is helping out, not necessarily predictably.
3) Fats in the food can mean it's absorbed more slowly, hence the notorious "pizza effect". Some people inject twice for pizza.
4) Sometimes my blood sugar behaves a bit unexpectedly and I can't work out exactly why
5) Blood sugar readings can be a bit inaccurate.

There are probably some other factors at play but I'm out of ideas for now.

Reactions: JAT1 and Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

How are you monitoring your levels? (Sensor?) if I was to dip in the 3s it can take my Libre 45 minutes to recover from treatment
Where’s as how I feel is the first sign of “normality.” Followed by the meter reading as confirmation.
I can only assume the brain & eyes is the priority. & the interstitial fluid under the skin for the sensor, waits inline… Hence the lag.

What basal is prescribed & when taken. I find sometimes my basal seems more active when it’s meant to have tailed off?
(That’s without Novorapid on board.)

What was the meal in question? Sometimes the “on paper” working profile of the bolus doesn’t compliment the digestion/metabolism of the food? Trial & error with timing of the dose can help.

Reactions: JAT1 and EllieM

Nadia19

My ratio is correct, I had 2 hot dogs night before 50g of carbs 6 units back to where I was 2/3hrs later

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm thinking a McDonalds might have a bit of a pizza effect?