Injections to Insulin Pump?

Wijkkie1305

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I am new on this forum. I wanted to talk to people with DT1 cuz I dont have anyone around me without here. I am from the Netherlands, so excuse me for me English .

I have Diabetes now for 4 years, and I am almost 20. My whole live changed since that they. I use Novorapid (4 times a day) and Levemir in the evening.

I am considering to take an insuline pump. In my head I put the cons and pro against each other, but I still dont know. I dont have anyone around me to ask how the experience it.

I am a little scared to take an pump because I will have a machine on my body 24/7. Like what when I am vacation in a sun country? Where will i put in, because then I only wear my bikini and what about swimming? And how is it in daily life with a pump. And when getting intimate with your love can you better put if off? (This are al the questions going through my head and lots more)
So please help me.

When I will take an Insuline pump I will wait for the new pump Kaleido to be on the market.

I would love to hear you pros and concs about an insuline pump (or injecting).

I hope you guys will react ☺

Reactions: 2 people

Gillogi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi, it's best to talk to you DSN for all the info as being on a pump is not for everyone. It's also really expensive and There is a really strict criteria for going on a pump and they will be able to assess whether you would be suitable. If you satisfy the criteria then they will put you on a trial to see what it is like living hooked up for 24/7 before you decide. It is not easy being on a pump as there is a lot of work needed and if you haven't been on an education course to help with your control, then it's advisable to do that 1st.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Wijkkie1305
welcome to the forum:)

first -- there are loads of great topics to read on the forum about this very subject

my experience has been very positive.

pro's -- no injections , you forget you're wearing it, insulin dosing is so much more precise so potentially much better control , lots less hypos ( for me ) ,

con's -- it is scary at first turning your control of your life to a machine ( this lasted about the first week with me )

all the best
do keep posting with your progress whichever way you decide
( and your english is brilliant )
Het Beste !

edit-- tagging some other pumpers for some support @Mrsass , @Juicyj , @claire1991 , @noblehead

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Wijkkie1305 - Hi & welcome! I have only had a pump for 19 days but I love it! I really do forget it's 'attached' to me most of the time. With regard to holidays - I have booked a summer holiday & will just disconnect when I swim& reconnect it & put it in a pouch clipped on to swimwear! I don't are it being a problem. The accuracy is really good as it can be programmed for different time blocks during the day & night. Wishing you all the best. Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :)

I have had a pump 2 years and love it!

Pumps can be un clipped for up to an hour so if ever you need to take it off you can do that, I always test my blood first to make sure it isn't high or anything first, if it is I just give myself a correction then un clip it :)

Speak to your nurse or diabetes team about what would be on offer to you, you can get one (omnipod) that doesn't have any tubing so you wouldn't feel like you were always attached to something which some people prefer, I don't have that one I am with Medtronic but plenty of people can offer advise on which ever ones you find are available for you to get :)

iHs

For me, the pump ideally would be bio inspired to work as an AP so I am keeping my eye on Cellnovo which was shown at the recent Science Museum in London

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
When I will take an Insuline pump I will wait for the new pump Kaleido to be on the market.
I would hope your pump choice is a lot better than the immature/unprofessional web site advertising it.

Wijkkie1305

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ofcourse I will wait the results of the pump. But since their has been invested in it (Kaleido), i will keep my option open. In the Netherlands it is when you choose a pump you have to keep it for 4 years. So i will look up all my oppertunities. I have walked with a pump (off, to try it out and if my skin could handle the sticker). I walked with the omnipod and one from accu chek. And it really got itchie. My skin is really senstive. A already have scare tissue under my skin from 4mm needles.

Which pump do you all use?

Thankyou for the answers.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

I use the Animas Vibe and yes in the UK and everywhere else you have the pump for 4 years :) There are different things you can apply to your skin if you have a reaction to the sticky. Many use Cavilon spray others use Skin Tac.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ofcourse I will wait the results of the pump. But since their has been invested in it (Kaleido), i will keep my option open. In the Netherlands it is when you choose a pump you have to keep it for 4 years. So i will look up all my oppertunities. I have walked with a pump (off, to try it out and if my skin could handle the sticker). I walked with the omnipod and one from accu chek. And it really got itchie. My skin is really senstive. A already have scare tissue under my skin from 4mm needles.

Thankyou for the answers.
I have the Accu Chek Aviva Insight.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I have the Minimed 640G from Medtronic and I absolutely love it. I can swim with it on as it's waterproof or can just disconnect for up to an hour. It can also be used as a continuous glucose monitor. When I was on holiday and wearing my bikini I just kept it cool in a cool pouch next to me on lounger or clipped on to side of bikini if walking around. At night I keep it in a Hid-In pouch which is so comfy I forget it's even there. :) During day it's either clipped to middle part of my bra or in Hid-In pouch round my waist.

I was on injections for 24 years and going on pump was best thing I ever did. I feel free! ;-) And yes, there is a bit more work with a pump, especially for first 6 months while they get all your levels stable, there's a lot more blood testing to be done but I am really happy with the results. Am so much better controlled! :)

amackey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi there @Wijkkie1305,

I'm pretty new here too, at least to posting, but to be honest the anxiety of a first post is almost worse than the reality of taking on a pump.
I have to agree with everybody here, pumps might not be for everybody but they have been a revelation for me. I started with an Accu-Chek Combo for my first 4 years and for the past 3+ years I have been using Omnipods. Both are great but to be honest I think pretty much all of them are. I find the Omnipod to be wonderful, it is so discrete and the lack of tubing is something I enjoy. There are challenges, sticking is one if you are like me and play sports. Skin Tac comes highly recommended and I am going to try physio pre tape spray to see if that helps.

I would advise research, research and more of it. It can be fun. If you value improving your control on a constant basis I'm sure you will love having one and within a week or two of having it you would never want to go back.

Heathy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am very new just got a meditronic one today the tutor gave me a play one with water insulin to get used to it. I have lots of questions to ask him I hope I get the hang of it having a canula attached to your body 24/7. How is it sleeping with it I am afraid it will come out.