Injections

Bridie9408

Hi all have been on form before and was thinking of changing from humalog mix 25 to 4 injections a day. I got all leaflets from diabetic clinic and my doctor thinks it would be good idea for me to change but I am so scared because I would love to try low carb but I haven't a clue about counting carbs or how much to eat without injection. My doctor thinks I need to change because my blood sugars are running to low all the time and have 2 and 3 reading's few times a day. Would appreciate any info and sorry about the long post.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
If you don’t know how to count carbs, you’ll need to contact your diabetes team to refer you to see a dietitian. As time goes by and with more insight and experience, ask about a carb counting course for dose adjustments. The carbs and cals book or app is a good start to learn about it. What I will say though is even with low carb, you’ll still need some insulin for it. There have been type 1 diabetics that have said some proteins have increased their BG ever so slightly. This happens when I eat some eggs and some salad & of course insulin is not a lot for it but it still needs some. Basal-bolus regime will give you more control, so hopefully less low readings for you.

Last edited:

Bridie9408

Hello!
If you don’t know how to count carbs, you’ll need to contact your diabetes team to refer you to see a dietitian. As time goes by and with more insight and experience, ask about a carb counting course for dose adjustments. The carbs and cals book or app is a good start to learn about it. What I will say though is even with low carb, you’ll still need some insulin for it. There have been type 1 diabetics that have said some proteins have increased their BG ever so slightly. This happens when I eat some eggs and some salad & of course insulin is not a lot for it but it still needs some. Basal-bolus regime will give you more control, so hopefully less low readings for you.
Thank you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. NICE recommends all T1s are on Basal/Bolus which as you have been told gives much better overall control at the expense of 4 to 5 daily injections i.e. one or two for the 24hr Basal and one before each main meal. The NHS makes a big-deal of carb-counting and diet training which often goes, in my opinion, too far. I was taught carb-counting and given a diet leaflet all with 20 minutes when my DN started my insulin. So, it's actually quite simple but I'm not saying you shouldn't take up anything offered by your DN. Carb-counting means estimating the amount of carbs in your meal (plus a bit if a lot of protein as well). The food packs at the back will normally guide you or as my DN said you need to 'eyeball' the meal when eating out; that only comes with experience. There are various books available which show foods carb content for specific portion sizes. My DN gave me a Roche leaflet which did that. I only tend to inject if my meal has 30gm or more of carbs. Below that I just let the BS rise a bit. So, take the advice of your clinic and go for it with their guidance.

Reactions: Bridie9408