Injex Insulin Jet System

redrevis

Hello again

I am one of these people who has a hightened fear of needles compared to 'normal' people. I have been diagnosed with type 1 for about a week and have been injecting 4 times a day. When i had my initial meeting with my DNS i asked her about the Insulin Jet system as i had already researched types of insulin administration beforehand. She hadn't heard of it and had no information for me. She actually asked me to provide her with any information i could find and she would look into it for me, great!

This is what i have found:

“Insulin jet system

This is a new device for delivering insulin without using a needle, and is now available on the NHS. The insulin jet system can be used on your stomach, buttocks and thighs.
It works by forcing a very small stream of insulin through a nozzle that is placed against your skin. The insulin travels at a very high speed and goes through your skin. Your diabetes care team will be able to advise you about whether this method of insulin delivery is suitable for you.”

There used to be the Mhi-500® and SQ-Pen® systems available on the NHS, but as of 10th June 2010 they have been removed from the drug tarrif. The only insulin jet system now available on the NHS is the Injex Pen. www.injex.com
"• The following Injex® products and accessories are prescribable:
o Starter Set — contains 1 needle-free delivery system, reset box, transporter, 9 disposable 10 ml vial adaptors, 165 ampoules.
o Monthly Refill Pack — containing 6 disposable 10 ml vial adaptors and 100 ampoules.
o Ampoule Pack — contains 50 ampoules.
o 10 ml Vial Adaptor Pack — contains 20 x 10 ml vial adaptors.”

I have tried to attach a brochure for the Injex Pen and it's instruction manual, which gives a lot more information regarding it's use, but PDfs seem to not be allowed, so i've uploaded them. Here are the links:
http://pdfcast.org/pdf/injex-brochure
http://pdfcast.org/pdf/injex-instruction-manual
(How come i can't use code? mods?)[/color] Here is a qu...s illusive Injex pen is much appreciated. :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I did read about this insulin delivery device some time ago, but from a personal perspective I won't be using it, much prefer to use a needle. As you have a fear of needles, it should be ideal for you, but I am unsure how safe this system is over a long period of time, and most importantly does it deliver the correct amount of insulin each time?

I wonder also if this method of delivery leads to more incidents of tissue damage and sores than needles, so please keep us informed on how you get on with this device! :)

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
We have seen all this on here before, it was discussed some time ago. Basically it all boils down to cost. Plain and simple.

The cost of an Insulin Pen and needles is tiny compared to the cost of any of these devices. That has to be borne in mind however much you wish to have one. I doubt any GP/PCT would want to fund them unless there were special reasons. Medical reasons. I am not sure a needle phobia is one of those reasons as there are treatments available that can help people overcome such fears. There is nothing to stop you trying though.

There is also the fact that there were complaints of bruising etc when using the devices......
Personally I am more than happy with my pen, although I have never had a problem with injecting.

Ken

redrevis

Hi Nigel

From the information Injex provide it says:

Trials with this system have shown that the 0.18mm fine jet of insulin spreads through the subcutaneous fatty tissue and selects the route of least resistance. In effect no damage to blood vessels, nerve fibres or osseous tissue have been observed. The thinnest needle has a comparatively thick diameter of 0.25mm.

So if this is correct, tissue damage shouldn't be an issue.

Also they say that the units of insulin you take must not change when switching from needles to this system and that with this sytem the insulin is actually absorbed slightly quicker than with needles.

Regarding being safe over a long period of time, I have asked the company about this to see if there is any evidence either way. Just waiting for a reply.

Hi Ken - With this Injex pen being the ONLY one available on the NHS as from 5 days ago, i thought this was relevant to talk about and to find out if anyone actully has success in using one.
Regarding cost, i am very aware of the comparative cost between this and using needles, but if this is available then surely someone must be using them in this country? What reaons would you consider special enough to require having one of these pens? Would having mutiple sessions with psychologists to help with fear of needles be cheaper than having one of these do you reckon? I would be interested in seeing comparative costs of both.
I have seen the information regarding complaints of bruising and have also seen that some people have no complaints at all. Infact one person in particular that i read about was using needles for 20+ years, then switched to this system and could not believe they hadn't switched sooner as it was so much better for them than using needles.
I feel that if i could benefit from using this system then what have i got to lose in trying it?
All i would need is a short trial and i'm sure i would know pretty much instantly whether it would be more suitable for me than using needles. If you felt like i do before using a needle you might understand what i mean.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You have me convinced......I can't answer your questions as I am not a HCP or a PCT person who controls the purse strings. Sometimes even though something is available, it doesn't mean you will get it. Let us know if you do.

I understand exactly what you mean about phobia's....I don't need to have one to understand.
We have had people on here before who we have helped. I am not criticising you....you asked for comments. That's what I gave you, my comments. What I think. I inject and as far as I am concerned I don't need one but I can well understand why you think that you do. Your choice, same as mine.

Nobody is taking any issue with talking about it here, I thought that was what I was doing...... :?

Ken

redrevis

Spoke to my GP today who said is he happy to prescribe me one of these pens after he's spoken with the diabetes team at the hospital regarding any issues with using one. So hopefully will have one soon. I'll be back with a review when I get my hands on one. :D

iHs

Hi

When I switched from once daily insulin to twice in the 70's, I really hated having to do the extra injection so got my OH to get me a jet injector that I saw advertised in Balance magazine. It was from a company in Finchley, Nth London and cost approx £350 so wasn't cheap.

I collected the injector in person; was shown how to use it and came home.

After about 20 days I took it back to the company for a refund. It actually hurt more than using a syringe needle due to the force it needed to puncture the skin and my tummy was covered in purple bruises about the size of a 10p piece which took a fair while to fade to yellow and vanish. I did try to alter the settings on the injector and also injected elsewhere but still got the bruises so the company agreed to part refund my payment.

Obviously, over the years these devices are now a tiny bit better but I would think they still hurt when being used and will also bruise, so don't buy one unless you can get a refund.

redrevis

Hey thanks for the info. Nice to hear it from someone with first hand experience.
I'm hoping it doesn't hurt more than the needles, but there's only one way to find out :wink:
The pen will be prescribed on the NHS so I won't be 'paying' for it as such, although we all pay our National Insurance. I'm guessing I will know straight away if it is a better option for me, like you say with the pressure it uses it's either going to be better or worse and that will never change as the pressure on these pens can't be adjusted iirc. I'm guessing if it doesn't work out being a better solution the pen won't go to waste as it could be used by the hospital for nurses to show people who enquire about it, rather than not having a clue what the person is talking about, i.e. what happened to me.
Right now my stomach is covered in purple and greeny yellow bruises, so i'm sure a few more won't 'hurt' :lol:

iHs

i've not seen the Injex but if doesn't work with an insulin cartridge then it will mean each time you want to inject you will have to withdraw insulin from a vial, so wont be that discrete. The one I had had to used with a vial and also I felt I had to go to the ladies to use it as a noise could be heard similar to a gun being fired (only a bit quieter). :cry: :lol: :lol: I got some weird looks from other people as I opened the toilet door :lol: :lol: :| :|

If you get one, tell everyone what you think and if it's worth others getting hold of one.

Although not in the UK just yet but in America BD have just launched their 4mm Nano pen needle which is really tiny. Won't be too long before it's also in the UK :mrgreen:

redrevis

Hmm didn't really think of the vial issue. Sounds like a mini gun shot? that should turn some heads :lol:

I'll definietly be giving my verdict on it when i get one. Just hope it's going to be a positive one.

Just had a look at the BD nano pen needles. They do look pretty tiny. The ones i use at the mo are 6mm and 31G, so i'm not sure how much difference the nano ones would make, but i'd defo try them if they came out over here if this needle-less one doesn't work out.

OconInjex

Hi there,
I represent the company that is the authorised supplier of the Injex into the UK & Ireland. I have requested a media pack regarding advertising on this space so I don't want to upset a moderator or contravene any forum rules by posting anything regarding the Injex, just yet. Just to say that there is information on this product and training available. NHS units are ordering this device and consumables and also pharmacies.
Hopefully I can arrange some further info via an advertisement on this informative site as soon as I get details from Diabetes.co.uk
John Dinan
Ocon Chemicals Ltd

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WINTER. COLD. RAIN. WIND.
worst thing I have ever tried.
also because my fear of needles.

Honestly the PAIN and BRUISING is just not worth it. Horrible thing. A 4mm needle is nothing compared to this!

redrevis

I never did end up getting one of these. I'm currently using the 4mm needles and they're not too bad, but I still want to try a needle free device to help me rotate my injection site as I'm so thin I have hardly any subcutaneous fat to inject into, so the hospital has suggested the SQ Pen might be a good alternative. Just waiting for the admin error to be fixed and for them to return to the Drug Tarrif for my doctor to be able to prescribe me one.

sicko666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Textbook medical profesionals! Narrow minded people.
if your skinny jet injectors are difficult to use as they need a lot of fat to inject into i am afraid. I have been using the first the Mhi-500, then the Sq-Pen, and soon ( i hope! ) the InsuJet.

The Sq-Pen no longer exists but instead the InsuJet will be available free on prescription from the 1st of September or so InsuJet has informed me ( i am eagerly awaiting this date! ).

Jet injectors do hurt though, BUT for needle phobic type 1 diabetics like myself it has been a very,VERY, nervous couple of months as using a jet injector has meant a very happy fear free few years for myself, well until i found out the Sq-Pen had been stopped anyway and i had been searching and contacting hundreds of people trying to find a replacement device!

The Injex30 is still available ,though for me personally it wasn't big enough, as it can only inject a max of 30units though they do have a 100unit version its not available in Europe yet! Dam it!

The InsuJet however looks identical to the Sq-Pen and can inject upto 50units a time (wish they had a bigger one too! ) so i have decide to wait for that instead.

Hope i helped a bit at least with what my own pestering has discovered lol. :D

hoooba

You have me convinced......I can't answer your questions as I am not a HCP or a PCT person who controls the purse strings. Sometimes even though something is available, it doesn't mean you will get it. Let us know if you do.

I understand exactly what you mean about phobia's....I don't need to have one to understand.
We have had people on here before who we have helped. I am not criticising you....you asked for comments. That's what I gave you, my comments. What I think. I inject and as far as I am concerned I don't need one but I can well understand why you think that you do. Your choice, same as mine.

Nobody is taking any issue with talking about it here, I thought that what I was doing......