Injury crisis, worried! :(

Agada

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Since being diagnosed in March I've managed to bring my blood sugar levels down to normal with lifestyle changes (diet/weight loss/exercise/no meds). Since then I’ve managed to keep to the same schedule of exercise and for a few months now I’ve hit a stable “baseline” weight I.e. it won’t go any lower but doesn’t need to according to recent body analysis etc. The issue I have is I have injured my foot playing football and Dr says I may need to sit out of my usual exercise routine for some weeks, I’m worried as I’ve not had a period out of exercise since diagnosis, so does this mean that my blood sugar will go up? Or if I don’t overdo it diet wise and keep my weight stable during this period will I be ok? Just nervous and also suffer from OCD so it’s playing on my mind :/

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Agada

Not being able to exercise as much may make a small difference to your BG (does for me) but it’s what you eat that really counts. Could you do something non weight bearing like swimming? I’m currently nursing an Achilles back to full strength so get where you’re coming from. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You worry far too much ... won't make a difference if you maintain good habits

Reactions: jjraak and EllieM

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed it really depends on what you use exercise for if it's to control weight and manage blood glucose readings a bit, it might make a slight difference. But exercise is also important for some people metal well being, and it releases endorphins for some people, so if you use exercise to feel a bit happier work out stress or similar things it might make a larger difference.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Agada , we can all tell you what'd happen to us, but you're not me, or anyone else for that matter.

Personally, I'd urge you to keep your diet nice and tight, and keep testing. That'll be giving you the best chance of coming out the other side as near to the same state as now, as your body can manage.

If you can find a way to do light exercise, whether water based, or just upper body, it might help, a bit, but for nearly all of us, what we eat and drink are the main factors in maintaining. I can understand how "doing something" might help the metal side of things.

Fingers crossed you're not on the sidelines too long.

Reactions: jjraak

Agada

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all, I initially did the exercise to lose weight, in order to try and lower my hba1c. 2 and a half stone later and my hba1c is now in the normal range, so it seems lifestyle change and weight loss was the key, I cannot lose anymore weight as I’m at a good weight now as it is, I went on holiday last August and managed to not put any weight on, this was the only period I didn’t do any gym based exercise since remission, my next hba1c did stay the same but I appreciate this was only 1 week away from exercise. I currently exercise in part to maintain my weight but also to try and gain more muscle now that I don’t need to lose fat and to also help control my OCD better, so this set back is annoying on the muscle development part but from what you all seem to be saying, if I can be good with diet and not see much weight gain if any then I should be OK :) I will try to do some light stuff but unfortunately I can’t swim from one side of the bath to the other so that’s out the window :(

Reactions: Quinn1066

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all, I initially did the exercise to lose weight, in order to try and lower my hba1c. 2 and a half stone later and my hba1c is now in the normal range, so it seems lifestyle change and weight loss was the key, I cannot lose anymore weight as I’m at a good weight now as it is, I went on holiday last August and managed to not put any weight on, this was the only period I didn’t do any gym based exercise since remission, my next hba1c did stay the same but I appreciate this was only 1 week away from exercise. I currently exercise in part to maintain my weight but also to try and gain more muscle now that I don’t need to lose fat and to also help control my OCD better, so this set back is annoying on the muscle development part but from what you all seem to be saying, if I can be good with diet and not see much weight gain if any then I should be OK :) I will try to do some light stuff but unfortunately I can’t swim from one side of the bath to the other so that’s out the window :(
Just wanted to say it's nice to see someone with type2 and OCD. I also have OCD tendencies and find going for my daily walks helps control that much better, getting out in the sun makes me a bit happier as well. Hence why I dislike winter so much. Yeah you should be good with just diet. Congrats of losing 2.5 stone that's an achievement worthy of congratulations.

dipsydo

Just a thought , If you are near a swimming pool see if they have aquafit classes , no swimming involved and no deep water, so should be ok for a non swimmer. Only disadvantage if you are male you may be heavily outnumbered by women of a certain age , although they are not too frightening !

An alternative is to look up chair based exercises to see if you can use them or if go to gym the trainers there should be able to advise how to to adapt your regime to non weight bearing exercise .

Hope you are better soon.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Agada, Since you appear to have simultaneously increased exercise and changed 'Way Of Eating' at the same time, you probably don't realise how little exercise matters compared to cutting Carbs for a Type 2.

Since I was never really overweight (2lbs max) and get no pleasure from exercise, my only lifestyle change was in going LCHF with no extra exercise and no cutting calories - just cutting carbs. Despite this my HbA1C has reduced and so has my weight (from 170lbs to 147lbs).
Stress, injury, infection , lack of sleep , certain medications can all increase BG, so don't stress about missing some exercise for a while!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Abada, I'd tend to agree with others on the Aquaerobics or chair based exercised for keeping something going. Alternatively, if you go to a general session at the pool, as opposed to a lane swim session, I'm quite sure just walking in water, or such would work well. Your weight is supported, yet you have the resistance of the water against you.

Alternatively, what a great time to learn to swim, or have improver lessons, if you can manage a bit?

A friend of mine is an instructor for Move it or Lose it, aka, FABS (although there are several such styles around). The exercises used are not all chair based, but can all be done from a chair, to accommodate those with poor balance or the like.

All of the exercises can be scaled up or down, depending on the individual's fitness and strength levels.

She does a lot of work in care homes, where it is clearly very low resistance, but also with groups in sessions, where the resistance bands and other tools require a good deal more effort.

A coup,e of years ago she led a session at our local DUK group, so I took part. She worked me hard - probably to knock my "this'll be easy" approach for six.

For me, exercise is the icicng on the diabetes management cake (LC, obvs), but I d totally get the improved mental outlook when getting some exercise done on a regular basis.