injury effect on blood sugars?

Hi everyone, I´m new to the forum and am really happy to hear other peoples experiences it definately helps to feel a bit less alone!
My son has been diabetic for just over a year, and 3 months ago received a pump which we are happy with even though I can´t say that miracles have happened with his values! During the Christmas holidays Matteo fell skiing and did a hairline fracture to his thumb, nothing serious. Two days later he got broncitus and had to take antibiotics. Neither of these things were a big deal but his blood sugars went pear shaped! He needed between 140 and 210% of his usual basal and sometimes more for his boluses too. Things seam to be calming down now but I´d like to feel better prepared for future incidents...Please help...

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Yep, insulin requirements can be big during illness. Not sure that the thumb incident would have been that much of an influence but any infection causes some mayhem. You just have to ride it out as best you can and be ready to cut back the dosage as soon as they recover to avoid hypos. It can be very tiring as beign sick requires a fair amount of testing overnight and regular ketone testing.

My son's first illness landed us in hospital with DKA. I'm much better at handling it at home now but I was totally unprepared for the first experience.

Thanks Jenny, just one more question, how long do you think this mayhem can go on for?! Matteo finished the antibiotics a week ago and his values are still crazy!

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
You might still have a few days left yet. I think we get to see how long they are really affected by illness even when they start to appear better. Hope it settles down soon for you.

Keep in mind that how blood sugar is managed changes some of the time with growth and hormones and you constantly have to be following the trends.