Innovo come back

Hi All - so I've been type 1 for nearly 20 years now (diagnosed when young) and I remember the bad old days of vials and 5ml syringes (other no doubt remember worse). As a relatively young and active person I've always been after those diabetic gadgets that are small, quick, fit into pockets and robust. I used to use novopens but one day discovered that you could get hold of something called an innovo which is about the size of a small mobile, self contained, fits into a pocket, remembers how many hours it's been since your last injection, what the dosage was and basically in my view is a great bit of kit. It is an insulin delivery "pen" which is not pen shaped and therefore doesn't fall out of pockets, and is small enough to carry more or less everywhere I want to go.
Novo in their wisdom decided to withdraw the innovo about 2 years ago and have put nothing else similar on the market. Although the innovo is great, eventually they die a death - for some reason they are a bit less robust that novopens which last forever and I am looking to replace my existing innovos eventually.
But has anyone ever come across anything similar??

NigelM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too used an Innovo for some time. The die because they have an internal battery which cannot be replaced. I got in touch with the company when mine died and was told that they had had some problems with patients making mistakes and over-injecting. I was never able to replicate the problem so don't really know why it was such a problem that it caused them to discontinue the product.

I would love to find a pen that told me when I last injected. Taking 4 injections a day over a number of years I find that if I forget to take an injection at or just before a meal, I end up scratching my head an hour later trying to work out if I did or did not inject!!

iHs

NigelM said:
I too used an Innovo for some time. The die because they have an internal battery which cannot be replaced. I got in touch with the company when mine died and was told that they had had some problems with patients making mistakes and over-injecting. I was never able to replicate the problem so don't really know why it was such a problem that it caused them to discontinue the product.

I would love to find a pen that told me when I last injected. Taking 4 injections a day over a number of years I find that if I forget to take an injection at or just before a meal, I end up scratching my head an hour later trying to work out if I did or did not inject!!

I quite agree with you. There is a growing need now for an insulin pen to become available in the UK that has some sort of memory function on it especially for those of us using MDI. Like yourself I often cant remember if I have injected my bolus or not so I sometimes just wait for 2hrs and then see how high I have gone before bolusing a correction.

Lilly bought out a memory pen called Humapen Memoir but as yet its only available in America

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Apparently the Lilly Humer Memior pen isn't very good, the humidity gets to it and it just doesn't work well i've heard. and you can't use novo insulin with it either.

Have you tried looking on ebay for the innovo device?

JamesA

I'm still using an innovo (with a dead battery).
I have to agree about sometimes wondering if you've taken the injection or not.

I got an innovo from the clinic that had been in the cupboard, but it soon died.
I think the problem you'll find is that the battery will have already run down on any innovos out there :(

If you find some please let us know though.

nickoedwards

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had several Innovo's in the past and I agree, they're the best injection i've had. They're no where near as robust as the aluminum novo pens but for shape and comfort when in the pocket of the my jeans I love them. They fact they tell me when I last did my injection is a major plus. I've gone through a fair few of them, i've found the lock up, in that I can't dial or press the plunger. I really hope they make a return though.