Inquiry for my mother

ann52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear Forum Users,

I'm hunting for some advice for my mother.

She has just become a widow and her bereavement allowance ceases in November, a Year after my fathers passing.

Due to the changes in state pension age she is now a year away from being able to receive her state pension.

As my father was the main earner for the house hold she is now going to be considerably out of pocket, even though she receives a private pension from when my father worked for the GPO, it is a fraction of what he was receiving.

Her Condition is that of a; type 1 diabetic (she has been for ~40 years), who with no clerical skills would have to partake in manual labor. This provides further complications due to her getting very swollen ankles and edema, making such labor impractical and learning a new skill just as impractical.

She requires a lot of assistance from me in terms of maintaining the house she lives in and organizing her finances, transport and shopping etc..

I'm aware that PIP may be applicable for someone of her condition. If anyone has any advice It would be MOST appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Djcuzk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear Forum Users,

I'm hunting for some advice for my mother.

She has just become a widow and her bereavement allowance ceases in November, a Year after my fathers passing.

Due to the changes in state pension age she is now a year away from being able to receive her state pension.

As my father was the main earner for the house hold she is now going to be considerably out of pocket, even though she receives a private pension from when my father worked for the GPO, it is a fraction of what he was receiving.

Her Condition is that of a; type 1 diabetic (she has been for ~40 years), who with no clerical skills would have to partake in manual labor. This provides further complications due to her getting very swollen ankles and edema, making such labor impractical and learning a new skill just as impractical.

She requires a lot of assistance from me in terms of maintaining the house she lives in and organizing her finances, transport and shopping etc..

I'm aware that PIP may be applicable for someone of her condition. If anyone has any advice It would be MOST appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Hi hun,
As already advised CAB is you're best bet but make sure you go there first before making any applications to the DWP as all the goal posts have recently moved to claim benefit, which it seems likely the option you need.

Hope this helps
John

Reactions: 2 people

Pippa1961

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullying, discrimination
It is worth applying for PIP as your mother has other health issues. Getting somebody from the CAB is a good idea as they will have some understanding of how to fill the form in. It includes what help you give with money / finances, if she needs help with getting in and out of the bath (shower), cooking and so on..

Djcuzk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh PIP would be a good step I have epilepsy and also had a brain tumour and got awarded PIP as the diabetes and fits are quite bad, I went to welfare rights for assistance as well as CAB but I'm in Wales so not sure if the same support is available where you are. I also got social services involved to make some adaptions to my bungalow to prevent injury etc, hope this helps some way
John