Inside Out Programme BBC1 (London) Tonight 7.30PM

A

asparagusp

Yes but i have never eaten junk food or drunk sugary or fizzy drink, smoked and consumed only the odd glass of wine. My consultant from many years ago suggested a virus .....

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Still can't figure out why after the antibody test in July which said I was Type 2, why I am that, as I have always been slim .....
Newcastle Diet Professor deems viscera fat (internal organ fat) as the cause of type 2. Whether your fat or thin no matter. Just too much fat internally for YOUR body fat threshold hun.

Reactions: Salvia and Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes but i have never eaten junk food or drunk sugary or fizzy drink, smoked and consumed only the odd glass of wine. My consultant from many years ago suggested a virus .....

Or a genetic predisposition..? Neither did I do all those things you "protest" you haven't including not indulging in "the odd glass of wine." I was nearly 8 years old.. ;) My consultant suggested "alien abduction".. Or may well have done!?!
Then my old man "comes out" as a D many years later..

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sepsis causes horrific type 2 diabetes, apparently.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could be describing my dad and most of his siblings - all T2s - I was normal weight until my mid 40s - changed nothing and piled weight on at a rate of knots - reckon that's when I started with T2 and had it for a number of years undiagnosed- a virus could be a likely cause - it has many causes - I don't dwell on why just work on being the best I can be now

Reactions: Salvia
S

Shar67

Still can't figure out why after the antibody test in July which said I was Type 2, why I am that, as I have always been slim .....

It isnt always about weight, genetics, poor diet (not eating too much, just eating things that your body has trouble with)
Lack of exercise lots of things really.

A

asparagusp

Yes but I have always been slim and my endocrinologist describes me as "lean" Yes there is diabetes in the family but they were all overweight. My homeopath who was a GP prior said she couldn't understand why I was/am diabetic

I'll console myself and hang onto the cause as being a virus! lol Thanks Guys!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes but I have always been slim and my endocrinologist describes me as "lean" Yes there is diabetes in the family but they were all overweight. My homeopath who was a GP prior said she couldn't understand why I was/am diabetic

If there was a "wince" button for your reply..? I'd press it.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You could be describing my father, his father and my uncle. No viruses mentioned by any of them...

The fact is, the myths are exactly that - myths.
And consultants (years ago) didn't know any more then, than we do now.

A

asparagusp

I am not dwelling on "why" Just from time to time I occasionally question it. Today wasn't a good day blood sugar wise .

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have lost count of the number of HCPs who on seeing me for the first time have somewhere in their conversation included the phrase 'you aren't even overweight'. Actually I am a bit over according to the charts, but not the stereotype they all seem to be expecting.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You don't have to be fat to be a T2, nor do you have to be a T2 to be fat.....:banghead::banghead:

Robbity

Reactions: Bluetit1802

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having now skimmed through 4 regions it seems that they all showed the core feature of the man with few toes and the teenage girl. Two of these (East & West Midlands) showed the diabetes.co.uk article. What was interesting about many of the more local content was its challenge to the NHS that if resources were targeted earlier into education,monitoring, and diet, then the amount spent on the downstream complications could be reduced. One area for example has reduced amputations significantly by beefing up foot examination services. One region looked at dietary reversal - although emphasis as presented was on calories.

Which area focused on calorie reduction? North-East perchance?