Insight insulin pump and water parks???

xxgemmaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Question for those type 1 pumpers... I am looking at going on holiday later in the year and wondered what people do/have done with their pumps when in a hot country and going to a water park. Is it safe to leave in a locker? Should I keep it attached and how do I protect it? Or should I avoid water parks completely?? Can anyone advise??

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
You have a pump to normalise your life a little bit more so definitely don't risk missing out on anything! You can safely disconnect your pump for up to an hour at a time, and just keep an eye on your blood sugars. When reconnecting, take a bolus to replace the basal you have missed (i.e. if its off for 1hr, and you take 0.95u/hr, take 0.95 units), but don't forget to factor in a correction, as the additional exercise may well mean you need less insulin anyway. If its warm, it's probably worth buying a Frio case, to keep the pump in while it is in the locker, and make the most of being pump free for a while!
Have a word with your pump supplier, as they will probably lend you a "loan" pump to take with you in case it gets broken or lost while you are away, and just make sure you have insurance, and that way, you can relax and enjoy!

Reactions: 6 people

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to Florida in a couple of weeks and will be spending a couple of days in the large water parks.
I spoke to my dsn and she said that it could be difficult to visit my locker to bolus every hour as I may be queueing or just the fact that the parks are so big.
She has given me a couple of the disposable Nova Rapid pens and Levemir to use on these days. She said that the Levemir only lasts for twelve hours so I can hook back up to my pump in the evenings and the days that I am not in the water parks. This also means that I can leave my pump safely in the villa.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I'm away from home for more than a day I always carry spare short and long acting pens.

I'd do as Lisa suggests, but maybe not inject any long lasting as I could see this causing issues if you reconnect pump whilst any is still active, I'd just take an hourly or regular hit of short aligned to my pump dose.

I do the same if going to a theme park, like Alton Towers where the ride magnets can mess up your pump - I leave the pump in the car and take a pen.

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I'm away from home for more than a day I always carry spare short and long acting pens.

I'd do as Lisa suggests, but maybe not inject any long lasting as I could see this causing issues if you reconnect pump whilst any is still active, I'd just take an hourly or regular hit of short aligned to my pump dose.

I do the same if going to a theme park, like Alton Towers where the ride magnets can mess up your pump - I leave the pump in the car and take a pen.
Yes the dsn did say to be careful with the long acting as it may still be active.
I have ordered a couple of libre sensors so that I can keep a close eye on things.

When talking to my dsn she didn't say anything about rides affecting the pump.
Is it possible that they could affect the workings of the pump?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes the dsn did say to be careful with the long acting as it may still be active.
I have ordered a couple of libre sensors so that I can keep a close eye on things.

When talking to my dsn she didn't say anything about rides affecting the pump.
Is it possible that they could affect the workings of the pump?

Hi Lisa - recommend you google rollercoster rides and insulin pumps. Most if not all manufacturers advise pumps to be removed.