Insight Pump - Reliability

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm just about to receive my third Insight pump in just over 2.5yrs.

Pump 1 lasted from Jan 16 to May 17 - about 16 months (fault was it would not accept a new cartridge - I was away on holiday)

Pump 2 lasted from May 17 to Sept 18 - about 16 months (fault was it would intermittently refuse to manually unlock but after maybe 5-10 mins or by programming via handset or removing cartridge it would recover).

Pump 3 due Sept 18 to date unknown, but lay odds it needs replacing by Jan 19.

So by the time my warranty expires and my pump needs replacing by the NHS in Jan 20 its likely I will have had 4 pumps in 4 years.

Other than the two items above I'm pretty happy using the Insight but its reliability is putting me off having another one in once my warranty expires.

Reactions: porl69

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I am on Animas and I am very pleased with it. Easy to use, small etc. Shame they are pulling out of UK

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Ive only had handset problems but i will not get another insight or Accu-Check pump when I am due next December (2019)

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
No probs with the Animas Vibe but due to its phasing out I am looking at the Tandem slim x2 due for release in Australia in ? November this year. My Vibe is due for replacement mid 2019 so plenty of time to weigh up Metronic vs Tandem.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive only had handset problems but i will not get another insight or Accu-Check pump when I am due next December (2019)

I'm ok with the handset TBH, its the pump that worries me, I monitor my BG's very closely and in the past I've always blamed my diabetes for the odd results I get but now wondering just how reliable these pumps are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz-M and porl69

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Chas
Sorry to hear of your problems, of particular concern to me as when my Cellnovo warranty expires this is the only system that will be offered in Hull & East Yorkshire!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Chas
Sorry to hear of your problems, of particular concern to me as when my Cellnovo warranty expires this is the only system that will be offered in Hull & East Yorkshire!

My Combo was great, although handset was rubbish and got replaced twice. I'm seeing consultant next week so will discuss my concerns with him - only hope there are other pumps available (but got some while left yet).

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had an Insight Pump for 3 years without any problems. Hope I will get the same again in July 2019.

Reactions: Chas C

michelejane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
reality/celebrity tv, sport
Had an Insight Pump for 3 years without any problems. Hope I will get the same again in July 2019.

I've had my insight pump for about 2 years. It is annoyingly slower than the combo but i love it for the prefilled cartridges. Do not want to go back to drawing up insulin again!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Pretty sure that by the time you reach that point, you won't be able to get an Insight pump. Rumours are that Roche are winding down on them.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pretty sure that by the time you reach that point, you won't be able to get an Insight pump. Rumours are that Roche are winding down on them.

Lets hope we get a choice then in a year or two.

Reactions: Picci