Insomniac struggling with fasting

Birla

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
I have gestational diabetes diagnosed 2 months ago, testing glucose 4 times a day, not medicated, i have been an insomniac my whole life but it might be getting worse with third trimester of pregnancy.
My question is I'm awake from 1am frequently not able to snack or drink anything other than water, it's driving me mad! Can i drink decaf black coffee without it effecting my fasting glucose reading which I tend to take around 6am?
How does anyone else cope being awake all night? I used to have a piece of cheese or fruit and might get back to sleep but lack of food and pregnancy is making this worse.
I have a hospital appointment next week but i need help sooner.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A few nuts may help or cheese.
Why are you fasting whilst pregnant? Or do you just mean the night is usually a fasting time asleep?
Are you testing around the 1am time like anyone's wake up? Do you sleep through the day?

Ps. Only awake due to a few coffees during the day which I had stopped. Mine were decaf but not sure caffeine still hasn't mess my sleep up.
Milk/calcium is good for your baby so dig in whilst your pregnant. Or Pregnacare vitamin/minerals etc can cover this.

Last edited:

Birla

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't want to test early as i figure it will come up high.
By fasting i mean pre breakfast.
I know eating would help but I'm trying not to screw up my readings.
Just feeling pretty trapped.
If it was occasional i might give in and eat something but it's every night.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't want to test early as i figure it will come up high.
By fasting i mean pre breakfast.
I know eating would help but I'm trying not to screw up my readings.
Just feeling pretty trapped.
If it was occasional i might give in and eat something but it's every night.
You'll see a few nuts or few cubes of cheese without crackers or bread will reduce or not rise your fbg.
You should be testing. How would you know if close to a hypo without testing?
Test first then eat cheese or nuts. As on insulin cheese or plain nuts can prolong your hypo. Make sure not close to hypo before eating my suggested fatty protein. Ok?
I'm assuming they hv you on insulin?

Birla

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
No I'm not on insulin, but I've been been testing for 2 months and have been watching my glucose levels rise slowly despite being tighter on my diet. I've got a little over 2 months left till my due date so it doesn't sound terrible but I'm on my 5th night in a row of next to no sleep. I think I'll have to try snacking in the night, i can't have another night like this.

Birla

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
No I'm not on insulin, but I've been been testing for 2 months and have been watching my glucose levels rise slowly despite being tighter on my diet. I've got a little over 2 months left till my due date so it doesn't sound terrible but I'm on my 5th night in a row of next to no sleep. I think I'll have to try snacking in the night, i can't have another night like this.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun is right. Cheese, walnuts, pecans, macadamia's... Pork scratchings, olives, maybe even a little extra dark chocolate. Decaf with full fat cream? Something fatty/protein-rich'll get you through to the morning without messing up your numbers. After all, it's the carbs that make your numbers rise... Fats and protein 'll be fine. Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Next week's check up will help you even more.
Are you having hungry spells and craving carbs? or are you like me hungry but in fact tired or thirst but couldn't sleep or the sense to hydrate myself? Oh yes, I mix up the signals. All of the time. I now fill in a diary.
I better your up through the night anyway for the bathroom? It's said it's your body getting you ready for sleepless nights once baby arrives. Luckily that should only be every 2hr feeding for a few weeks then they sleep longer and longer. Then you mummy will do the same.
Its all normal.