Insulatard - Hypos

Pixelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant and type 2.
I take Novorapid at lunch and dinner - 8 units and Insulatard before bed - 15 units.

The last week or so I've been getting hypos at night. I've just treated one now.

My reading tonight was 8mmol on the meter.... I don't know why it was high, I've been pretty stressed today so maybe it was that.
Anyway, I took my night dose of insulatard around 2 hours ago. I haven't been able to get to sleep, then I had some muscle cramps so got up and felt shaky. Tested my bg and it was 3.4!

So in the space of 2 hours my bg has gone from 8 to 3.4 with long acting insulin.

This has happened 3 times this week, at various times...

Anyone know why this would happen?

I'm usually pretty stable with my bg levels but they've been up and down more lately. The hypos are a bit worrying, especially given that it's long acting insulin and not the novorapid seeming to cause them.
I'm aware as pregnancy progresses insulin resistance becomes higher... But mine seems to be the opposite, but with varying times and days.

I don't understand why I'm having hypos!

Pixelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An update...

I tested my bg at 4am this morning (was up with pregnancy cramping) and it was 5.5.

Tested again just now and it's 7.1...They want it at less than 5.5 first thing in the morning.

They upped my dose of insulatard from 10 to 15 because I go higher in the morning without eating or drinking anything, for some reason.

I thought I had a handle on all of this and everything was going OK. Now everything is backwards and upside down and I just don't know why. It's so confusing.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Pixelle The rise in the morning could be Dawn Phenomenon or a waking rise. I find eating breakfast first thing rather than delaying it, helps a lot.

With your nighttime hypo, what time did you eat, what did you eat, and what time did you test and get 8?