ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When you have swollen tummy from water retention does it affect how the insulin (mixed) is absorbed? Just a little concerned as bgs are a big higher than I'd expect, but worry may be culprit.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't think that it would do @ickihun but I'm not sure how water retention works - that is, where exactly the water is.

The insulin goes into the subcutaneous fat and is absorbed from there.

Keep an eye on it and maybe do some extra tests so you can see how things are going.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
When you have swollen tummy from water retention does it affect how the insulin (mixed) is absorbed? Just a little concerned as bgs are a big higher than I'd expect, but worry may be culprit.

I do not know if a swollen tummy affects insulin absorption but I notice that when my abdomen is swollen my BG's are also higher. I know that mine swells with stress. I think my cortisol levels rise when I am stressed and this causes the swollen tummy and BG rise. But also, cortisol makes me hungrier so I usually eat more with stress so that could be causing part of the BG rise and swollen abdomen also. They are definitely all related. I hope your worry resolves soon. Merry Christmas!

Reactions: azure

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I can't think that it would do @ickihun but I'm not sure how water retention works - that is, where exactly the water is.

The insulin goes into the subcutaneous fat and is absorbed from there.

Keep an eye on it and maybe do some extra tests so you can see how things are going.
I've just read my new diuretic can raise bgs. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't say I've noticed because I live with a permanent bloated stomach... it includes fat as well, but definitely I deal with bloating and water retention. The more pain I'm in, the bigger my stomach usually. I think the 50mg of amitriptyline I take causes the water retention. But yeh it's possible it may affect the absorption of insulin. I haven't thought of it before.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I can't say I've noticed because I live with a permanent bloated stomach... it includes fat as well, but definitely I deal with bloating and water retention. The more pain I'm in, the bigger my stomach usually. I think the 50mg of amitriptyline I take causes the water retention. But yeh it's possible it may affect the absorption of insulin. I haven't thought of it before.
Am I right in thinking children are weighed and given insulin value per weight? I could be wrong thou.
I think bodily fluid would affect insulin effectiveness in us insulin resistant sufferers. I'll know better next week when Christmas treats gone.
I'll return to gp for him to see my bloated tummy again if I ring him and he needs to see me. Maybe I need to give furosemide 40mg longer to settle down? I've seen a benefit but not long lasting.
I've started to read my blood pressure everyday to give gp a log.
Evening bgs have been very very high. Extra insulin to bring it down to reasonable fbgs.
Bloating is worse in the evening, sitting relaxing before bed.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I right in thinking children are weighed and given insulin value per weight? I could be wrong thou.
I think bodily fluid would affect insulin effectiveness in us insulin resistant sufferers. I'll know better next week when Christmas treats gone.
I'll return to gp for him to see my bloated tummy again if I ring him and he needs to see me. Maybe I need to give furosemide 40mg longer to settle down? I've seen a benefit but not long lasting.
I've started to read my blood pressure everyday to give gp a log.
Evening bgs have been very very high. Extra insulin to bring it down to reasonable fbgs.
Bloating is worse in the evening, sitting relaxing before bed.

Yeh I have to say if I'm going to get high BGL's it's early evening. Although I'm convinced it has to do with the lantus wearing off and I don't think it lasts 24 hours on me. I notice my BGL's start going higher after the 18 hour mark.

My bloating can get worse throughout the day as well. Hopefully your GP can help out.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I need to watch veggie portions to keep bloating down. I read how many veggies people are eating and I think about how they can/ can't digest them!!! If my tummy is bloated, usually at night I don't sleep. If my tummy isn't happy I'm not sleeping. Then bs is usually higher. I eat veggies with every meal but not tons and I am more sensitive ( bloating and gurgling) with some more than others Most need to be eaten in moderate amounts. This has helped emensly with bloating and cravings!!! If I'm bloated I just want to keep eating. It should be the opposite! Lettuce is almost one of the worst!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I right in thinking children are weighed and given insulin value per weight?
Very small children (babies) and people unable to respond might be treated with insulin according to weight in hospital. But as soon as they're out of hospital dosage will be changed to what works for them.

There are tables that show average total daily dose by weight, by they are just guidelines.

Like @azure i can't see how water retention impacts on insulin absorption. Lipohypertrophy is a more likely issue to be excluded - do you have any lumps and bumps from injecting! Do you rotate injection sites? Also wher on your body you are injecting impacts on the time it takes for the insulin to be active. If you inject down at your foot (ooof don't) blood is going to have too carry insulin all the way up and around your body.

Having high BG doesn't necassarily indicate insulin isn't being absorbed. It might mean your dose isn't right for you, maybe have a chat with your DSN about adjusting doses.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Very small children (babies) and people unable to respond might be treated with insulin according to weight in hospital. But as soon as they're out of hospital dosage will be changed to what works for them.

There are tables that show average total daily dose by weight, by they are just guidelines.

Like @azure i can't see how water retention impacts on insulin absorption. Lipohypertrophy is a more likely issue to be excluded - do you have any lumps and bumps from injecting! Do you rotate injection sites? Also wher on your body you are injecting impacts on the time it takes for the insulin to be active. If you inject down at your foot (ooof don't) blood is going to have too carry insulin all the way up and around your body.

Having high BG doesn't necassarily indicate insulin isn't being absorbed. It might mean your dose isn't right for you, maybe have a chat with your DSN about adjusting doses.
Thanks @catapillar . I'll call her for advice. Thank you.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I need to watch veggie portions to keep bloating down. I read how many veggies people are eating and I think about how they can/ can't digest them!!! If my tummy is bloated, usually at night I don't sleep. If my tummy isn't happy I'm not sleeping. Then bs is usually higher. I eat veggies with every meal but not tons and I am more sensitive ( bloating and gurgling) with some more than others Most need to be eaten in moderate amounts. This has helped emensly with bloating and cravings!!! If I'm bloated I just want to keep eating. It should be the opposite! Lettuce is almost one of the worst!
I think I have congestive heart failure. I've been given a diuretic which is helping but I'm taking multivitamins to replace any nutrients lost. Swelling in rest more now. I'll call gp today for advice. I'm not sure if he wants to increase diuretic or wait for cardiologist.
Restarting 100g carb lchf low salt next week to see if any improvement on bgs, insulin absorption and weight loss.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think I have congestive heart failure. I've been given a diuretic which is helping but I'm taking multivitamins to replace any nutrients lost. Swelling in rest more now. I'll call gp today for advice. I'm not sure if he wants to increase diuretic or wait for cardiologist.
Restarting 100g carb lchf low salt next week to see if any improvement on bgs, insulin absorption and weight loss.
No heart failure. Been told good heart. Still having water in abdomen, even on diuretic thou. Which is putting pressure on lungs, causing breathing problem. Seeing cardiologist tomorrow.
In January my hba1c went high to 69. Today I've been told new hba1c result was 59.
So I think a combination of xmas carbs and water retention stress on body and diuretic, my hba1c raised from 51 to 69.
Luckily 59 to work from, today :)
GP and endocrologist delighted with my improvement. It was less protein than lchf and carbs covered by insulin with a 7kg loss due to no cheese, cream or very many nuts.
Looking for more weight loss and no water retention or very little. I live in hope!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ps. More carbs resulted in better insulin attachment but not insulin absorption. I had to double my mixed m3 needs. But I lost 7kgs!!!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I stopped most veggies along with cheese, cream and majority of nuts and lost 7kg @Kristin251 . Hba1c from 69 to 59. :) thankgod for insulin.
I wonder if I'm type1 with huge insulin resistance?
I still haven't asked for gad test or c-peptide. Although immune blood test was done recently, I forgot to ask it's result.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I stopped most veggies along with cheese, cream and majority of nuts and lost 7kg @Kristin251 . Hba1c from 69 to 59. :) thankgod for insulin.
I wonder if I'm type1 with huge insulin resistance?
I still haven't asked for gad test or c-peptide. Although immune blood test was done recently, I forgot to ask it's result.
Yay to the weight loss!!! And the A1C!!
Is your tummy less bloated? Hard to say if that would be veggies or dairy!
It's hard to give up nuts completely. I just keep them limited.
Great news on your heart too!!! That must be a huge relief!!

Even if you are type 1 I would think you'd still be getting the treatment and meds that you're on now. It would be nice to know though.

Which carbs did you start eating that require double insulin?