Shazzle80

hi all

I've just had major surgery on my abdomen and have been instructed to rest as much as possible for the next 2 weeks.......I'm literally moving to go to the toilet and walk to the table.

My blood sugars have started to raise, presumably as I'm not burning off any energy.

Do you think I need to increase how much insulin I'm using as obviously I'm likely to heal better if my sugars are good. For added info I carb count.

Thanks all :)

Shazzle80

Reactions: noblehead
D

Deleted Account

I recently underwent surgery on my abdomen and was recommended rest.
Like you, I saw my BG rise.
I put this down to two things
- not burning sugar
- stress on my body
I increased my basal and tested more.

It took longer to come back down to normality that I expected - about 4 or 5 weeks.
But now everything is great again.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you. I'm pretty much doing this!! It's just by the time I've corrected I'm hungry and then it's raising! I'm gonna do only a small amount of carbs per meal as well until I'm confident I have more control xx

Sounds like a good plan. Don't forget if your concerned you could also contact your DSN and ask for advice. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Reactions: azure and ickihun

Shazzle80

I recently underwent surgery on my abdomen and was recommended rest.
Like you, I saw my BG rise.
I put this down to two things
- not burning sugar
- stress on my body
I increased my basal and tested more.

It took longer to come back down to normality that I expected - about 4 or 5 weeks.
But now everything is great again.
Thank you for this. I really appreciate it :)

Reactions: sandra curtis

jimsboss

Snap! I had major abdominal surgery on 5th June. God it was painful afterwards! Big problem urinating after. The hospital gave me morhine and other pain killers. They put me on a insulin pump. This put my BG on average of 8mmol. One month later my fasting is 6.6. I've just had a second catheter removed and I'm really happy.

goalie

Hi. Stress of surgery on your body will push the BG up. Also being less mobile means you are less insulin sensitive or put another way more insulin resistance. You may still be burning quite a lot of energy as your body uses a lot for healing wounds. Best to eat as well as you can and use extra insulin as needed in the short term.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Eating good portions of protein helps healing and health after ops.
Cancer patients are recommended protein rich foods when the immune systems are shot to hell...
dont forget if anybody goes on any form of morphine or morphine patches or certain pain meds-these can slow stomachs/colons down..