Insulin and eating

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I met an old friend yesterday who told me he had been started on Insulin and he says he has an injection but then has to wait an hour before eating he could nto remember the insulin name so am asking on here if you realy do have to wait an hour after injecting?

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes some you do, it sounds like an intermediate insulin but I don't know the brand names.

My LO has her insulin 10-30 minutes before eating depending on what her blood sugar was, my OH takes his 30mins to an hour before I think (from observations I've never actually asked him ) they have different types of insulin

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thankyou...we live and learn :)

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Mist rapid acting insulins start working in 10 to 15 minutes. An hour seems too long. You don't usually have to wait at all.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
that is what I said but he said it says this on the pen

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been taking Nova Rapid for about a year now and i always take it just before I eat. Occausionally if I have low sugar before I eat, i
take it shortly after I eat.
Waiting an hour after taking fast acting insulin is very risky.
Get him to show you the instructions in the box.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
saw him yesterday and he said his levels still high but the DN was gonna ring him yesterday I did say find out from her wether you are taking it right and not eating for an hour afterwards It does not sound right to me but he thinks it a new Insulin ...will ask again when I see him

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Inside the box of oens they're should be instructions on how to use. If you know the name of the insulin you can also Google for the info.

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Here are the instructions for Novo Rapid.
"Eat a meal or snack within 10 minutes of the injection to avoid low blood sugar. When necessary, NovoRapid can be given soon after a meal. See How and where to inject below for information"

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I can take my Byetta/Exenatide up to an hour before eating @PatsyB and down to as little as 5mins before a meal. I wonder if his is the same?

crikeydee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
im on novorapid and it can be taken 15mins after eating

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
im on novorapid and it can be taken 15mins after eating

Hello @crikeydee this thread is over 4 years old so you're unlikely to engage with other posters from this thread, if you would like to start a new thread for better visibility with all members then that's a good way to engage with other members. Let me know if you're ok starting a thread as I can see your new here :)