Insulin and shift work

Sarahmcbs

So, until now my diabetes has been controlled with metformin and diet. I'm currently pregnant and they're worried that while my overall control is good, my blood sugars seem to rise and fall, rising quite a bit higher than they'd like after meals during pregnancy. Because of this, they're looking at starting me on insulin.
The needles, while a fear in themselves, I can get over, I'll get used to it. However, I work three rotating shifts:
Nights 10-6
Afternoons 2-10
Mornings 6-2

I don't sleep or eat on a regular basis because of working shifts, my sleeping and eating pattern is everywhere. I'm absolutely terrified that because of not having a set routine treatment is going to be very very difficult and I'm going to end up making myself very ill. Has anybody else had the problem of insulin and rotating shift work? How did you overcome it? I'm so anxious I burst into tears as soon as I got off the phone with the doctor. Every time I mention shift work they sort of cringe as if they know it's a bad idea but there's nothing I can do about my job!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So, until now my diabetes has been controlled with metformin and diet. I'm currently pregnant and they're worried that while my overall control is good, my blood sugars seem to rise and fall, rising quite a bit higher than they'd like after meals during pregnancy. Because of this, they're looking at starting me on insulin.
The needles, while a fear in themselves, I can get over, I'll get used to it. However, I work three rotating shifts:
Nights 10-6
Afternoons 2-10
Mornings 6-2

I don't sleep or eat on a regular basis because of working shifts, my sleeping and eating pattern is everywhere. I'm absolutely terrified that because of not having a set routine treatment is going to be very very difficult and I'm going to end up making myself very ill. Has anybody else had the problem of insulin and rotating shift work? How did you overcome it? I'm so anxious I burst into tears as soon as I got off the phone with the doctor. Every time I mention shift work they sort of cringe as if they know it's a bad idea but there's nothing I can do about my job!

Welcome to the forums @Sarahmcbs

Obviously, I am not, nor have I ever been pregnant and the closest I have come to varying routines is for international travel and crossing date lines etc. To some extent, any answer would depend on the type of insulin you've been (or will be) given.

Rapid acting insulins are designed to be taken with meals and if the medics are looking to stop your post meal spikes maybe that's what you'll get. Probably wouldn't impact you too much I guess.

Long acting and medium (intermediate) acting insulins are designed to be taken once or twice a day as directed. If you're changing shifts then this may be more difficult to adjust for.

On top of all that ! There are also 'Premixed' insulins which are typically 25 to 30 % rapid acting and the remainder long acting or intermediate insulin. Typically, these are taken twice a day also.

Suggest you wait and see exactly what they give you unless you already know?