insulin and stamina exercise

gonzo

Hi

I'm about to do ao 60 mile charity bike ride in the hottest part of the year. Is it a good idea to decrease insulin dosage or keep it the same? Obviously i'm much more likely to hypo and would need lots of extra sugar to do that much exercise, but I also realise that you need the insulin to break the sugar down. Any ideas on the best way to approach something that will probably take most of the day?

gonz

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi gonzo.

Here is a link to an excellent site with information for Diabetics doing ALL sorts of Sports. You may get some useful information here till some of our fitter members turn up. Take a look.

http://runsweet.com/DiabetesAndSport.html

Ken.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi gonzo,

I do longish rides most weekends, usually between 50-70 miles.
I have a pretty low carb diet so I'm probably using ketones and free fatty acids a fair bit of the time. I've found this gives me a lot more stamina than when I ate more carbohydrates. It also means insulin doses are pretty low so hypo's are more easily avoided.
So the answer to your question will depend on what sort of diet you're following. If you eat a lot of carbs, you'll need more insulin, possibly drop low during the ride, and need to top up your bg with more glucose. A bit cat and mouse. Without the carbs your bg and energy levels may well be a lot more stable.
Works for me!

fergus

gonzo

Do mind describing the kind of diet that you use to have low carbs and still be able to cycle 70 miles? Sounds good but not sure how to appraoch it. I've only ever done the carb count and insulin balance that every doc I have met so far has told me to. Plus i'm a veggie so maybe that will make low carbs more difficult

gonz

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi gonzo,

My last 70 miler was 3 weeks ago. We set off after a breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs with cream and cheese, mushrooms, and tea with a little milk. 3 units of Humalog. You have to match insulin to protein intake just as you do for carb intake, only the ratios tend to be different.
Many health professionals only discuss carb/insulin ratios, but insulin is still required to deal with the glucose metabolised from dietary protein. Another common myth is that carbs are somehow essential for exercise, but ther's no truth in that one.
Low carb is perfectly do-able as a vegetarian although protein sources are going to be more limited.

All the best,

fergus

yipster29

sorry Fergus...

feel like we're on your case but it's only because I think we all strive for your control!!

Do you need to snack often during a cycle ride of that length on that start or not at all?

I was told to check and snack every half hour to an hour or so and have been a little nervous!!

Would be very greatful!!

Cath

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Cath, no problem!

I normally check my bg once or twice on a long ride, but very rarely eat anything. It's just not necessary! To my mind, if you have to snack every half hour then you have far too much insulin in your system and you'll probably spend more time eating than cycling. Daft.

All the best,

fergus

yipster29

sounds good to me!!!

Have upped the ante on the cycling this week and have checked but not found the need for anything... suits me! :)

Thanks Fergus

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good going Yipster.
Will you be watching Le Tour this year? Can't wait.

fergus

yipster29

More of a do-er than a watcher on the cycling front Fergus

But the tennis last night... Blimey wot a 1st floodlit Wimbledon game!!! :wink: