insulin and tablets type 2

mumdad43

I have an appt at my doctors next week but wonder if anyone can give me any advice. I am not overweight and my bmi is 27 but have been having high readings around 15 for the past few weeks. I am on slow release metformin 1000 twice a day and gliclizide twice a day. i am now (since Sunday) on 8 units insulin taken once daily in the evening. plus the tablets. My reading Yesterday a.m was 6 then about 5a.m this morning I started with hypo and level was 3.1. I had some fizzy sugary drink and sandwich and crept up again to 8.5 in the hour. My doc said if this happened to lower my insulin by 20% so to 6 units but do I still keep taking the tablets or will it sort itself out? I dont feel too great at moment but reading is around 9 so not hypo and I have eaten healthily just feel giddy.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree it's more likely that you are a Late onset T1 and not T2; mis-diagnosis is common. I'm still listed as T2 but a LADA. The pointers are being slim, possibly young and not responding enough with tablets. It's good you are on insulin. Metformin is often continued as it has been for me. It makes a slight difference to your blood sugar but has other protective properties so my DN suggested I continued with it. I suggested to my DN that my Gliclazide should be stopped when on insulin and she agreed. It's pointless to stimulate the pancreas when on insulin. If you are a LADA it will progress but the rate varies for different people. Stopping the Gliclazide may make it easier to get the insulin balanced? It sounds like you are on just the Basal insulin. My DN started me on just that but a month later when I showed her my readings she added the Bolus for meals. I suggest you discuss all this with the GP/DN and if you want more control do ask if you can go onto the Basal/Bolus regime. It means two insulins but gives a high level of control and easier to avoid hypos

mumdad43

thank you for info. had another hypo last night after reducing insulin to 4 units. Doctor not available today to speak to but will not take gliclizide and just try again tonight just with metformin and see if I have a hypo again. was 3.0 and took a while to get sugars up to a reasonable level

mumdad43

I spoke to GP. He said unlikley type 1 but we discussed the hypos. Stopped gliclizide completely and reduced insulin to 4 units (was 8 then 6 now 4) any lower not worth taking ? once a day in evening. Still taking meformin slow release 1000mg twice a day. had 3hypos where results were 3.0 to 3.4. last night felt a bit shaky and test was 4.6 about 03.30. bought some glucose tablets and work ok. Unsure what else I can do. Had bad headache and tum aches a bit...is this normal at beginning of taking insulin? Got to phone GP Tomorrow as he says there are other insulins.. I am on Insulard Innolet