Insulin Bumps (Lipohypertrophy)

acbrom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, i'm T1 28 years and injected all this time until 4-5 years ago when I moved onto a pump.

I've been much more active, healthy, etc over the past 2-3 and now that i've lost weight the insulin bumps and general 'insulin belly' are very visible. I've not injected there for years and pump sites are on the hips or back area.

I've done many google searches looking to find ways of reducing it or getting rid. Liposuction seems like the only way, but was wondering if anybody had any success with other methods or home remedies please?

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think they ever disappear tbh. I have the humps either side of tummy after years of injections. Is liposuction a feasible treatment does anyone know?

Last edited:

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I would love to know the answer to that , I've been T1 for 46 yrs and as some of you will remember the needles in them days were a lot larger than todays and for me they caused fat pockets around my belly , Over the years I put on a little bit of weight around my belly and you would not even notice them but since lockdown I have lost about 18 lbs and they are now noticeable again , I'me thinking if i'me injecting with the new smaller needles into these areas the insulin is going to take a bit longer to be absorbed and I have lost a valuable and convenient injection site , It would be great if I could get rid of them ,

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it caused by the amount of needles that have been stuck in, or more to do with the amount of insulin that has been absorbed?
I've got two ugly hanging swell areas either side of my belly button. Slightly reduced now after better rotation methods. But I don't think they will ever properly go, without treatment, which I don't think is available?

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
In my case it was caused years ago by the very large and thick needles of that time , you can see on my belly which was my most convenient site as that site is bigger . I doubt wether the modern short slim and lubricated needles of today will cause the same problem . If liposuction is an option I would love to get it done .

Reactions: Zinadane

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't like my belly either after 40 years and most of them spent jabbing large quantities (basal) into my stomach. If you google the extremes are much worse though and seem to be linked to lack of site rotation. Unsurprising since this is something we have all done on auto pilot and I certainly went for the easiest bit to get to.
Now I pump and do low carb so there's less quantity at any one time.
I have tiny lumps but this plus 3 c section deliveries make the place look like a battlefield.
Yet I am a little proud of it all given that I am fit and healthy so do bring my belly out in public when on a beach holiday etc.
Perhaps it is time to accept the pooch given the expense of surgical procedures? Note that I haven't ruled this out and on a bad day still don't like the bumpy bits!

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had some Lipohypertrophy 4 years ago. After resting the sites for a long time, the bumps have faded significantly, but not as yet disappeared (as I eventually have to go back to using those sites, to avoid Lipohypertrophy elsewhere). Like, in my case, they're no longer visible, but you can still feel them.