Insulin correction factor

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Trying to change settings for DDs bolus calculator and the ICF has me in a pickle!

I know it's 100 ÷ the average total daily dose but hers is coming out at 15 and it doesn't seem right. I know if she hits 10mmol and I give half a unit it will bring her down to around 5. Her total average insulin is 6.5 units (she's only 17 months)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The 100 rule is NOT a rule really! Is a useful starting point, but if you already know it doesn't work for you, use what actually works for you instead!

Not sure how your bolus calculator works, but Just be aware that the bolus calculator might use it to correct when your just a little bit over target and you will be more insulin sensitive when under 10 rather than in double figures. So just don't over trust the bolus wizard - I'm absolutely certain that you already do this (but others may not) always just check the dose suggested looks "right" and is right for the situation, don't blindly follow the bolus calculator.

[totally not aimed at you @shivles , I'm sure you are confident to over ride the bolus wizard if it doesn't feel right :)]

Reactions: himtoo

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't use a bolus calculator either. I second @catapillar 's comment that the Rule is just to give you a general idea, and many people don't fit with the rule, myself included.

I would also think that such rules aren't as accurate for children (and adults) on small doses.

If you know what works for your daughter, use that information to work things out.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh yes I just use it because my maths is appalling, common sense above all else if it seems not right I work it out myself :)

So if 0.5 will drop her approx 5mmol for 10 and under is there a guide of how much it will drop her at higher numbers?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So if 0.5 will drop her approx 5mmol for 10 and under is there a guide of how much it will drop her at higher numbers?
Again, this is something that is trial and error, but many of us find that we need between 1.5x and 2x nas much insulin to effect the same drop when we get higher. I must say again though, we have arrived there by trial and error so you should not take those values as mantra.