1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin dose per carbs

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by jordanneshort, Mar 20, 2017.

1. finn99

finn99 Type 1 · Member

From my experience carb counting really helps me control my bG because I can generally get the amount of insulin right. I really recommend the book 'Carbs & Cals' by Chris Cheyette and Yello Balolia, it has values of carbs for TONS of different foods and has really helped me stabilise my blood sugars! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. wadings1

wadings1 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi everyone, does weather affects glucose level? I am a type 1 diabetic patient, my glucose level has been under control not until recently I noticed serious changes this summer as the weather gets too warm, my glucose level has been so high despite maintaining my foods and insulin dosage. I even increase dosage by 2-3 units but still can't get the desired result what is happening? Is anyone having the same experience? I am using Novorapid and Lantus solostar.

3. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes the weather has contributed to higher levels for me too. Upped my Toujeo basal by a unit in the end. Which has had a positive effect. Just need to be ready for the crash when the weather changes.

4. lmc

lmc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think they stopped doing carb counting for some reason and then brought it back. I have met younger diabetes who did not know how to carb count and then were taught years later.

5. Diabetesqueen415

Diabetesqueen415 · Newbie

I’ve been a diabetic since I was five and I struggled with it too. The carb counting confuses me too. You’re not the only one lol

6. Diabetesqueen415

Diabetesqueen415 · Newbie

I need help with carb counting and giving myself the correct units of insulin. It’s confusing ass hell

7. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, you will find many great people on here all very friendly and helpful

You can get an app for your phone carbs and cals, i think its called. You have to buy it but its not expensive.

I use one called fatsecrets, which is free and the website www.fatsecret.co.uk/

These sites give great info about carb portions.

After that its really going to be a bit of effort in determining what your carb to insulin ratio is. When I started the DAFNE course we all started on 1 unit of insulin to 10g of carbs. Then its just a case o testing to see how your BG levels are, maybe testing every 2 hours. If your BG goes higher than the starting point it could mean you need to increase your dose, maybe 1 unit of insulin to 8g of carbs or if your BG is dropping go the other way 1 unit to 12g of carbs. Do you have a Libre

I assume you will be on a bolus dose for meals then maybe a basal dose, once or twice a day as background insulin. It is also important to get the basal dose correct.Once the basal dose is correct, you are then simply matching your food intake to your bolus dose

Does any of that make sense so far

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook