Insulin dose per carbs

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard of other type ones doing DAFNE but I've never really understood the carb counting, I take novo rapid and levemir insulin, I was wondering roughly how many units of the novo rapid I should take per carbs with food? I have no idea what I'm doing so looking for some answers

Reactions: Emma-Jo

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard of other type ones doing DAFNE but I've never really understood the carb counting, I take novo rapid and levemir insulin, I was wondering roughly how many units of the novo rapid I should take per carbs with food? I have no idea what I'm doing so looking for some answers
Are you a recent T1D @jordanneshort?

Most doctors will start their patients on a ICR of 1:10, it tends to be about right for non insulin resistant T1's. That's 1u insulin per 10 grams of carbohydrate. You may need more, you may need less. That's entirely individual and no-one here can tell you how much you'll need.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No one can answer that for you. You have to work out what your insulin to carb ratio is. You work it out by trial and error.

Have you asked to go on a DAFNE course? If you have no idea what you are doing you might find it quite useful.

There's a free online carb counting course that might be worth a look - https://www.bertieonline.org.uk

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oo thankyou, I've just been told I will need to go on a dafne course to work out how many units I will need for carbs

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oo thankyou, I've just been told I will need to go on a dafne course to work out how many units I will need for carbs
So what have you been doing since diagnosis?! I see you've been a member here for over two years, I'm somewhat concerned.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

The best person to,ask would be your DSN. They would be able to suggest a suitable starting ratio for you.

The amount of insulin a Type 1 needs to cover a certain amount of carbs can vary hugely.

Once you know your ratios, you can adjust your pre-meal insulin according to what carbs you're about to eat.

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I have recently been diagnosed and taught to carb count and adjust my dose. I take Novorapid and Glargine. So my Novorapid was started at 1U per 10g of carbs but I had lots and lots of hypos with this. So it was changed to 0.7U to 10g and then on a night time I need even less as I need to bring my levels up a bit before bed, so it's set to 0.3U per 10g.

It's all trial and error but use carbs and cals app or book to help you. Dont forget any active insulin in your system when calculating too. I have an Accu Checl expert meter which does all the working out for me. You might want to look into getting one.

Hope this helps. X

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jordanneshort . Definitely get on a DAFNE course. You can't change the past but you can shape the future.
As already mentioned we can't tell you what ratios to use but we can point you in the right direction for help and advice.
DSN for some good knowledge but a set course/ program for real bespoke advice and knowledge

Reactions: Dodo and becca59

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type 1 since I was six an have been on a fixed dose ever since, they've mentioned about the dafne course so I think that's what I'll go with as my blood sugars aren't the greatest with the foods I eat and stuff I've never really understood

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type 1 since I was six an have been on a fixed dose ever since, they've mentioned about the dafne course so I think that's what I'll go with as my blood sugars aren't the greatest with the foods I eat and stuff I've never really understood
It's entirely understandable that your blood sugars aren't the greatest, especially as you've never been taught to count carbs.

The good news is, this will soon change:) I'd push to get it done ASAP and that will without doubt improve your BG management.

Reactions: Levy

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My next hospital appointment is in April so will get it sorted then I hope! Just was curious as to what others do as I hear so much about it and how it helps with blood sugars but I've never been shown or understood it so hopefully when I go on April it will be sorted!

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...

In a usual day, where you don’t take any additional exercise and don’t eat carbohydrate your Background or Basal insulin (the Levemir) should keep you between 5-8 (your DSN will advise you).

If you eat carbs your blood sugar will rise and you need to find the ratio of fast acting insulin (your novo rapid) to carbs to bring it back down to your base level. If you excercice your blood sugar will fall and you will need to eat carbs, or you can reduce your background insulin, to bring your blood sugars back up to your base level.

You might find you need different ratios of carb to insulin units at different meal times.

Hope this helps, your Dafne course will show you how to do this, I would definitely recommend it.

Good luck x

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really is unbelievable people can be left in the dark - I could say I'm gobsmacked but I honestly see this time and time again on this forum.
Totally agree @Robkww . So many times professionals assume we know everything and we don't ask because we assume they tell us everything. I was 20 yrs in before I knew what ketones were. It is ludicrous.
@jordanneshort . 16 yrs on fixed dose is wrong you should be top of the list for a course. You deserve some help and back up.
Start making some NOISE !!!!!!!!!!!

Robkww

Is any guidance issued through the Forum to explain to new and less assertive members what they should expect from and how to get the best out of the NHS system?

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ever since I was diagnosed when I was 6 I have been told my diabetes is poorly controlled, I've tried all different foods, exercise to try and keep it controlled but still get told it's awful, yet I have only recently been told about the dafne..which I think will help..(I hope) I'll definitely push the subject at my next appointment and try and get me on the course asap! Thanks for the advic!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do the Bertie course, it's free and NHS developed - it the same stuff that is covered on DAFNE.

Food and exercise doesn't control type 1 in the absence of proper insulin doses.

What insulin are you using on your fixed dose regime?

You might also benefit from checking out the book "think like a pancreas" which cover the basics of how to manage a basal bolus regime.

Robkww

Ever since I was diagnosed when I was 6 I have been told my diabetes is poorly controlled, I've tried all different foods, exercise to try and keep it controlled but still get told it's awful, yet I have only recently been told about the dafne..which I think will help..(I hope) I'll definitely push the subject at my next appointment and try and get me on the course asap! Thanks for the advic!

Hi @jordanneshort

Please make sure you prepare for your appointment and use this Forum as much as you need to ask any questions so that you get the most out of the appointment.

I do hope this can be a change point for you for the better.

Best wishes.

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use 12 units of novo rapid 3 times a day and 16 units of levemir twice a day as told by the dietician..I will definitely prepare for the appointment with all questions and even use this to show them also

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use 12 units of novo rapid 3 times a day and 16 units of levemir twice a day as told by the dietician..I will definitely prepare for the appointment with all questions and even use this to show them also

Fixed doses can work (I was on them when I was first diagnosed) but only if you eat the right amount of carbs eg you should have been told something like "12 units for breakfast and eat 50g carbs, etc".

It makes me mad when people aren't taught carb counting. Don't be worried about it - the basics are very simple :)

Push to get the help you need - and I second the Think Like A Pancreas book recommendation because that's what Type 1s have to do!